Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aoxa, Dec 14, 2011.

1. 388chick

388chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    Our first silkie egg today! Woohoo!

2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

i am wanting silkies soo bad

3. dorothymcd

dorothymcd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    I read your story about your barn and I cried. I'm so sorry for your loss. That must of been so painful to witness OMG i cannot imagine... I got on this link because I just hatched 4 silkies and 1 polish was was looking for answers to sex them. I clicked on your link to see if these was more and didnt get past the first page. I wanted to share my condolences...
    If you have a facebook account id love to connect with you, maybe you can help me sex these little ones early...

4. MinBH2O

MinBH2O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Bridgewater, MA
    Born 6/5/2013. Started crowing this week 10/513.

[​IMG]

5. chickenlover594

chickenlover594 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks a lot for the info. I was hoping you could help me out. I have a pair of silkies both of them crow but I did a little research and found out that silkies hen are know to crow (I have a bantam hen who does that too). So my silkies, the rooster have a longer tail and is bigger and have a tall posture. The hen is more docile and would make sounds that hens normally do. Here are some pictures to help you identify whether is a hen or not thanks!!![​IMG] This is the hen, little comb and lots of feathers in the head [​IMG] This is the rooster, taller and has a bigger comb.

6. pine-nut

pine-nut New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank you! That is incredibly detailed and helpful! My only silkie is 5 weeks old, so I can't tell yet. It does "purr" when I carry it around with me, so I'm guessing it might be a pullet. It's impossible to tell at this age. The last Lagshan roo was easy. He started trying to make a strangled gargling rat stepped on under water noise by the time he was 10 days out of the egg. Of course, he announces loudly to the whole world that he is the king of the flock. I hatched this silkie in an incubator, and I don't think it is ever going to be outside with the rest of them. It might be too cold or the others are too big for such a tiny thing to be out there.
    [​IMG]

7. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Love this thread! Wondering if I could have some help sexing my 4 month old smooth silkie:D I see saddle feathers, and he/she holds themselves upright alot more that the girls, but the thing that confuses me is that he/she hasn't really started to developer a comb, and it's crest says girl. Any thoughts?? [​IMG][VIDEO][​IMG][/VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dorothymcd

Jul 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 month old Silkie roosters

9. dorothymcd

Jul 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie rooster 4months old

10. dorothymcd

Jul 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

The blue Silkie chick on left turned out to be a girl the buff Silkie on right turned out to be a boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by