Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aoxa, Dec 14, 2011.

1. alissasobo

alissasobo New Egg

May 23, 2013
    This girl started laying about 1 month ago!! Love her.

melle1980 and latebloomerar like this.
  2. 388chick

388chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    Awesome!! So about 6 months old?!? What do her eggs look like an how often does she lay? We have one that resembles yours we are trying to determine gender. :) Half the people I ask say boy...the other half girl. [​IMG]
    This is ours...21 weeks old and "it's" had a hair cut as our play in a fenced but not covered run. :)

3. alissasobo

alissasobo New Egg

May 23, 2013
    Ours lays about 5 times a week. Yea she was around 6 months. Very good! They are tan colored, almost white. I can't tell what yours is sadly, but the swept back hair might mean boy. Just a little more patience. Good luck!

4. 388chick

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    Awesome!! 5 times a week...that's great! Oh well we love the little gender confused fluff ball regardless...I'll be sure to keep you posted! :)

5. Kahfia

Kahfia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Is that why I've had trouble sexing this guy? It seems the typical characteristics don't apply!

6. appalachianchic

appalachianchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    Read your page and it was helpful but still curious to what I have. These chicks were hatched July 27th. Chicks 1, 3, and 4 are all much bigger and farther developed feather wise than chick 2. The same three chicks all also have small spots on the leg where spurs should grow as well. Despite the spur knobs, I think by comb comparison that chicks 1-3 are pullets and 4 is a roo. But would love someone else's opinion. If you need more pictures, let me know.

Chick 1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. MinBH2O

MinBH2O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Bridgewater, MA
    Not quite 3 months old, born several days apart. All three stick together and do not mix with the other hens. One silky is definitely the leader. Watches out for the other two and explores first.

.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    This is a GREAT thread! I will be observing closely for a few months so that when mine are old enough I can figure out what gender they are! Great idea!

9. 388chick

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    They are adorable!! :)

10. 388chick

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    We're at 25 weeks now and about 2 weeks ago we first noticed some squatting behavior...and two days ago...[​IMG]
    So hope, hope, hoping dudes don't squat and snuggle someone else's eggs!! Can't wait for a silkie egg!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by