Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
Here’s a better pic of the blue? Sorry it took so long, been a busy week.
C7BD71B3-4219-40EA-A78B-7500A437F246.jpeg

Here’s a better pic of the blue? Sorry it took so long, been a busy week. View attachment 1146807
That is a very tricky one & you probably won't truly KNOW until he crows or she lays an egg. My current guess (and it's truly a guess) is male.

The crest is not as "poofy" as some of your females & kind of lays back. Keep a watch out for "streamers" which would confirm male.

Also the shoulder area looks slightly darker. That could also be a sign of male or the lighting was playing tricks in the photo.

The blue's comb in your other pic was inconclusive, so like I said, this is a weak guess. I could be wrong. Either way, it's a very pretty silkie.

That is a very tricky one & you probably won't truly KNOW until he crows or she lays an egg. My current guess (and it's truly a guess) is male.

The crest is not as "poofy" as some of your females & kind of lays back. Keep a watch out for "streamers" which would confirm male.

Also the shoulder area looks slightly darker. That could also be a sign of male or the lighting was playing tricks in the photo.

The blue's comb in your other pic was inconclusive, so like I said, this is a weak guess. I could be wrong. Either way, it's a very pretty silkie.

See why it confuses me lol no streamers yet while some of the other males have them. They all had the slick back hair a few weeks ago. And all have more feathers coming in around their heads. Of course these are hatchery birds. I do have 2 from a breeder in Florida, I believe 1M & 1F.

Some thoughts/ideas to explore:
Well that type of single comb is not a silkie trait, so he/she is likely some type of silkie mix. (The tail also supports the idea of a mix) In this case a mix may not be a bad thing. 5 months is when some breeds begin to lay, so you'll likely get an answer soon. If your bird is beginning to stop & squat when you pet it, then you have a female. (It's rare but there have been cases of females with spurs.) I do not see the typical silkie rooster "hair style" but again a mix-silkie may never get that.

Do you have roosters in your flock? If yes, then this bird may never crow - even if a male. If no other roosters around, then a male should be showing & sounding like one by now.

I actually have a 5.5 mo silkie (hatched April 15th). She's not laying yet but the other one from my March 4th hatch already laid about a doz eggs & then went broody. LOL

Well, I've been getting these eggs for some time now, and only today did I learn that they were NOT being laid by my Sebright mix.
15070734837841626839119.jpg

I've got a spurred pullet. Six months old and Morty is now officially short for Morticia.

Quote:

There
smile.png
I added some of my behavioural observations (along with some I have heard of many times over).

Thanks for reading! I'm glad it helped you even a little
big_smile.png
Thank you for all of your very good, well explained information! I will send you pictures of mine for you to help me out on determining the sex. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom