Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
What about this little thing, we thought she looked most like a girl, but though we heard her crow, our other hens imitate our old roosters crow so she could just be imitating them? I'd really like some help cause just like my roo, I love this little bird and don't wanna have to let go of her.
Not all of the birds feathers are out too. She was said to be about four months old.

What about this little thing, we thought she looked most like a girl, but though we heard her crow, our other hens imitate our old roosters crow so she could just be imitating them? I'd really like some help cause just like my roo, I love this little bird and don't wanna have to let go of her.
Do you have a good pic of the comb/face? & another profile pic of it standing?

I'll admit that a crow attempt is not a good sign, but the bird's crest shape looks more rounded than oval.

Do you have a good pic of the comb/face? & another profile pic of it standing?

I'll admit that a crow attempt is not a good sign, but the bird's crest shape looks more rounded than oval.
I've got these
IMG_5824.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5825.JPG

Some thoughts/ideas to explore:
Well that type of single comb is not a silkie trait, so he/she is likely some type of silkie mix. (The tail also supports the idea of a mix) In this case a mix may not be a bad thing. 5 months is when some breeds begin to lay, so you'll likely get an answer soon. If your bird is beginning to stop & squat when you pet it, then you have a female. (It's rare but there have been cases of females with spurs.) I do not see the typical silkie rooster "hair style" but again a mix-silkie may never get that.

Do you have roosters in your flock? If yes, then this bird may never crow - even if a male. If no other roosters around, then a male should be showing & sounding like one by now.

I actually have a 5.5 mo silkie (hatched April 15th). She's not laying yet but the other one from my March 4th hatch already laid about a doz eggs & then went broody. LOL

I've got a bunch of males, but that's never stopped any of my cockerels from showing their colors. I'd think hen-with-spurs except the little guy's comb and wattles have been that size for a while without laying eggs. I've seen a panicked squat once, but I've seen that in a definite cockerel once, too.

Back
Top Bottom