Shade Cloth

Yes,

I have a nifty square with gromets along the finished sides. I attach it to the run roof. It is a pretty dense shade cloth too. I got it with a dog fence that is something like 16 sq ft -- so I guess it is 4x4 feet. I used it when the dogs were puppies. Now they are grown and can locate their own shade.....so it is repurposed for the chicken run.

I also use a full cover over part of the run that attaches by bungie cords through gromets. It is over the feed and water.

My chickens lounge in the shade. They are very aware of where the shade travels during the day too.

Absolutely!! My run is 8x40' and I have it 30' down the south side to avoid that high summer temperatures we usually get. I'm thinking about putting another run of it on my past time complaining neighbor's side from the ground up to 3.5' just so they can't see the chickens. Great stuff!!

I haven't built my run yet but I already bought shade cloth for it, glad to hear good things! I purchased mine off Amazon which I found to have the best prices.

Just installed two large sections yesterday. Made a huge difference for the ladies. They actually came out from under the coop late day and grazed in the shade where it is normally full sun. It was 98.8 here yesterday and felt even hotter. I had some younger chicks that I almost lost to the heat that were in a different area but was able to get them cooled down in time. The ladies did great with all the shade cloth. I got it on ebay for about $80 delivered, 60 feet long and about 6 feet wide. I DEFINITELY SAY BUY IT AND INSTALL IF YOU NEED MORE SHADED AREAS.

Picture of ours using the remnant we purchased through Farm Tek. This was just a four foot wide section; the roof is 7 1/2 feet wide but at least half of it is covered in shade from large trees on the outside of the fence. We added grommets at three foot intervals and attached it to the run with zip ties.

84140_img_1024.jpg

Gail

Oh yes indeedy, I am a big believer in shadecloth! For the coop, for the house, for the barn, for the plants, you name it LOL

In fact it is supposed to get up to 90 or more today here and real soon now I got to go outside and put the shadecloth panels on the front window and W-facing sliding glass doors of the house
smile.png

Pat

georgiagail -

I love your chicken coop - looks like a bit of a nice chalet!
clap.gif

Really would like to know how you created the arched top to the run?

We have 2 10x10x6 dog kennels connected together around our chicken house, with shade cloth and bird netting zip-tied to the top as a (not quite) escape-deterrent roof. However, the 6ft height is a bit low for my 6'2" hubby and for when we move the whole contraption to fresher pasture. We tried a couple things to give more height to the "roof" but they weren't very sturdy or collapse-proof.

Since my chicken run is really a poultry run, which the two guineas and the one chicken, I need to contain those guineas. One got out last month and was lunch for the neighborhood fox (or racoon - we have them both). I think she slipped out via a gap between the shade cloth and the netting, which we have tied together with zip ties.

I sure would appreciate some insight into how you made the hoop top and how you keep it in place??

Sorry I didn't see this thread when it was new.... I might have joined BYC then. Be it as it may, your picture has finally moved me from lurker to participant
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom