Shade for coop runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaryK, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MaryK

MaryK New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    I am looking for vine plants ideas that are safe to grow up on sides of fencing for my runs. We are located SE GA where temps have been high 90's & low 100's. I'm trying to shade where their water is and shade for the runs also. Since I get a few escapies vines must be chicken safe. Any ideas?

MaryK
    SE GA
    Isa Browns--Eggs for eating
    Buff Orpingtons, RIR & Aracaunas-Breeders

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I don't know of any vine that the chickens aren't going to tear up and eat. I would use shade cloth or a bamboo shade maybe.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    We are growing grapes (Cayuga) and thornless blackberries (Arapaho) up the sides of my bantam pen. They are fast-growing - - and delicious, LOL! I have trained them up the outside of the pen, and even allowed a couple of shoots to train up the inside so the girls can jump for a few berries and grapes. They provide nice shade in the heat of summer, and allow the sun through in the winter.

I also have some herbs and other edible plants outside the pen, some of which provide shade. Fennel is one that grows large here - - 6 feet! Cilantro gets pretty big, too. We do use a shade tarp over the pen roof in summer, however, as what I am growing does not really cover the top (yet).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I'm in North Florida with the heat and high humidity as well. Mine is built under an arbor but the vines are not reliable enough for shade nor rain coverage so I nailed a tarp over the top and will just replace it every year or so. The vines that do grow up there help hide it so it is not ugly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by