Shade plants to grow for chickens?

How about planting hops on the outside of the run? I understand they can grow 15 feet in a summer. Actually, I've committed to them. The rhizome are coming this week. Do you think they could be poisonous to chickens?

I'm in Eugene, Oregon. I had a 6' tall x 20' wide Japanese maple 'Crimson Queen' that the chickens loved to sit under. It grew in shade and was beautiful. My chickens also loved to eat the rhubarb that was growing in my yard. I was horrified as the leaves are reportedly poisonous to humans, but they ate each large leaf until it was gone and never suffered any symptoms. I've heard other people say their chickens loved to eat their rhubarb leaves too.

I have the same problem. I fenced in about an acre of great shade woody area. During the summer the girls will not be too hot and can scratch around for bugs and worms in the fallen leaves. I would like to plant something to provide some greenery over the winter. Any suggestions? I live in North Carolina at the foot of the mountains.

I’ve got my coop under a huge redwood tree (Northern California) and would love to add some plants to the runs for interest and for a change of scenery for the girls. I have an 8 year old, two almost 1 year olds, and five 7 week old chicks. I’d love for the chicks to have a few more “hiding places” from the big girls.
Here’s the big run:
E458DFDA-D0DB-424C-9A0A-1FEBB12FEBD0.jpeg

It’s mostly in the shade all day except in the summer when it gets a few hours of hot sun.
I’d love some ideas on what to grow. Seems everything needs full sun 😕
I have lots of chicken wire “cages” to protect young plants from the girls.
At the far end of the run is the vegetable and flower cutting garden which we let the hens access in the fall.

I am in growing zone 8B,(As noted in the first post.) but really just any list of plants would be fine, I can pick through and figure out the ones that work in my area once I have created or gotten a list of plants.
I live in medford, Oregon. If you are not from Oregon you probably think of Oregon as wet and cool, but most of it is a desert. but a high desert. I kinda' live between the two.
I also live in Medford and have the same question! I just seeded a bunch of white clover around my run in hopes some will grow, and the chickens will eat it some. The area is under a tree, and gets a little bit of light during the day.

Back
Top Bottom