Shaded Coop - No Eggs?

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
I have a flock that I got as chicks back in March. I thought they should be laying by now but still nothing yet. My coop and run is located next to our tall privacy fence and is shaded most of the day. Could that be preventing my birds from laying, even though its Summer time?

This set up in our back yard so you can see how much light. I'm also wondering now if it is because we have 4 little dogs that could be stressing the birds.

We let the dogs out in the same fenced yard since walking them on leashes is not an option.

For the most part, the dogs pay no mind to the birds, so initially I didn't think it would be a problem.

Might anyone have an idea of what we can do to get the birds laying in this situation? It's a tough one, I know :/

That is a very small run for so many birds. Overcrowding stress can affect production. Only your Speckled Sussex looks like she's close to being ready to lay. The others look like they are still over a month away from being ready.

my March chicks last year didn't lay till August and September, this years March chicks have not laid yet (4 different breeds all together) all in plenty of sunlight be patient they are not late.

This set up in our back yard so you can see how much light. I'm also wondering now if it is because we have 4 little dogs that could be stressing the birds.

We let the dogs out in the same fenced yard since walking them on leashes is not an option.

For the most part, the dogs pay no mind to the birds, so initially I didn't think it would be a problem.

Might anyone have an idea of what we can do to get the birds laying in this situation? It's a tough one, I know
hmm.png
Not tough at all actually, they are not old enough yet.
Agrees with previous posters that those runs, and coops, are way too small for the birds shown.

Back
Top Bottom