Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Maybe worth giving it a try now there are less chickens but don't the chickens need to be taught how to use it?
And how about you feeding them just before roost time? Or would that mean you won't have the time to clean up after ?
I filled mine, then threw a nice Piñata scratch ontop in front of my roo and 2 seconds he was on it. He taught the girls how to use it. I love it. May be a problem solver.

What do you think of the treadle type feeders? Supposedly they are rat/mouse proof. If that was the case, then you could potentially leave feed for them overnight so they’d have something to eat in the morning.
I have been leaving feed in the tray overnight for a while now. I haven't seen a rat for some time. I've started to look at treadle feeders. Not entirely sure if they would solve the problem. Have you tried any?

Maybe worth giving it a try now there are less chickens but don't the chickens need to be taught how to use it?
And how about you feeding them just before roost time? Or would that mean you won't have the time to clean up after ?
I do feed them just before roost time. In fact there is food available in two feeders from the time I arrive. This gives them 2 maybe 2.5 hours with free access to feed and what little forage there is at this time of year.

I could use my fingers all day today! It only got down to 5C.:celebrate

"Come on Bucket Boy. Open the gate."
P1250136.JPG

No food in the feeder and none on the ground. :confused: It didn't look like anyone had been there today. All the feed bowls where I left them. Geese's water bucket knocked over with a bit of mud swilling around in the bottom.
I fed and watered the geese as well as the chickens.
P1250137.JPG

Everyone hungry.
P1250138.JPG

P1250139.JPG

P1250141.JPG

Light rain blew in and Henry retired early followed by his hens about 15 minutes later.
P1250143.JPG
P1250144.JPG

absolutely! I think that's also why foot injuries are not uncommon. They dig with real gusto, and if there's something sharp lurking under detritus or earth, it can be nasty. Sven had an injury to the top of his central toe years ago, and while it healed fine, that claw didn't grow back quite normally; it's looked like this ever since
View attachment 3384524
Based on the OTHER toes, I think my chickens’ claws are way too long. The litter in their run is rather soft and deep. It has pine shavings, rice hulls, broken down leaves and a few small sticks. Maybe I should dig that all out so they can dig down in the earth better and wear down their claws? As they days get longer, they’ll get more free range time, but I still don’t know how much they will wear down their claws. Can some of you post pics of chicken feet? Every once in awhile I’ll notice a claw has broken off.

Last edited:
Based on the OTHER toes, I think my chickens’ claws are way too long. The litter in their run is rather soft and deep. It has pine shavings, rice hulls, broken down leaves and a few small sticks. Maybe I should dig that all out so they can dif down in the earth better and wear down their claws? As they days get longer, they’ll get more free range time, but I still don’t know how much they will wear down their claws. Can some of you post pics of chicken feet? Every once in awhile I’ll notice a claw has broken off.
Oh what a wonderful mix of bedding you have! My chooks would be jealous.
I trim my old Light Brahma's snaggly nails with a dog nail trimmer. Use a light to under light it so you can see the quick and keep a corn starch handy just in case, better to under trim than over trim.
Be a shame to dig out all that fun bedding for that reason only.

Back
Top Bottom