Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hello to all. Only water in the coop 5 gallon water 3 of them horizontal nipple used.
Tax is my oldest EE drinking.
20180620_110405.jpg
20180620_110412.jpg

I think it's a question that needs to be put aside for a few months. Unless they all die before, which I hope not. When you've gone through spring and summer in the current arrangement, seen how well it works out for the chickens and for you, and maybe find out if C. will just let things go on this way.
With the weather you are having now, you are seeing the worse, no ?
Then again taking in new chickens depending on how old they are would mean a few years commitment.
In theory the weather will get better; it will get warmer.:D
Yup, It's waiting to see who drops dead and in what order.

Grey with intermittent rain. The dug ground is still draining.
I replanted the four saplings I found in the plot and we made some more headway with the debugging.

One of the plot holders who I like and who had said he had had enough of C and was leaving came back. Really nice to see him.
P3220622.JPG
P3220622.JPG

The chickens had a wander around and Henry led them off to behind the coop and run to where the food is stored.
P3220616.JPG

P3220620.JPG
P3220621.JPG

P3220615.JPG

P3220624.JPG

Henry, despite his standoffishness generally is very gentle when taking food from my hand.
This first picture is how not to do it but with Henry I don't even feel his beak.
P3220614.JPG

This is the best way of feeding treats to chickens in general if you're hand feeding and trying to make sure the chicken you want to get the treat, does.
P3220619.JPG

P3220617.JPG

Last edited:
Henry, despite his standoffishness generally is very gentle when taking food from my hand.
This first picture is how not to do it but with Henry I don't even feel his beak.
View attachment 3440548

This is the best way of feeding treats to chickens in general if you're hand feeding and trying to make sure the chicken you want to get the treat, does.
View attachment 3440549
View attachment 3440547
I’m going to try that method! Those are tricky shots Shad, nicely done! I love how you can see Henry’s eye focused on your finger.

Yup, It's waiting to see who drops dead and in what order.
This is scottish humor ? I didn't intend to make it sound like this ! I hope they can enjoy the improvement in their condition for some time !
View attachment 3440548
I've also noticed my younger bigger rooster is extremely delicate compared to the hens who will bite a finger off.
I found it impressive, seen that he has so much strength in his beak he manages to crack walnuts and hard bread. Maybe they know they must be more careful because they can hurt ?
View attachment 3440549
View attachment 3440547
That's exactly how my partner does it. With our more timid ex-batt Nougat he hands out the food openly in front for all the chickens to fight for, and in his back with his other hand he gives it discreetly to her in a closed fist like you do. She's very used to it so she goes straight behind him when there's some treat to be had.

Back
Top Bottom