Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I worry about them all to be frank. Not nail biting breakdown worry, but they're on my mind a lot. Ex Battery hens can be stressfull at the best of times; under these circumstances where there isn't much I can do for the sick, I just have to walk away so to speak.
Out of my six ex-batts three have been giving long term worries.
However they also really undermine the saying that a chicken will show pain only once it is near death. Two have recovered several times from what seemed to me like a very poor state.

Maybe they did not "really" recover and still have an underlying problem, it is impossible for me to tell. Especially when they are having laying difficulties, it seems that they will suddenly start foraging again happily around as if they hadn't been acting like they were dying for a week.

Out of my six ex-batts three have been giving long term worries.
However they also really undermine the saying that a chicken will show pain only once it is near death. Two have recovered several times from what seemed to me like a very poor state.

Maybe they did not "really" recover and still have an underlying problem, it is impossible for me to tell. Especially when they are having laying difficulties, it seems that they will suddenly start foraging again happily around as if they hadn't been acting like they were dying for a week.
What are their symptoms?

Just when I thought you were getting to C about the health of the chickens.

Tax:
View attachment 2958959
This is Little Big Shot. I decided to take him on a walk today. I carried him around the property for a good 10 minutes or more. I would like to say he enjoyed it.

View attachment 2958960
My Cochin Bantam hens. They are so hard to get pictures of.

View attachment 2958961
Pretty little Chipmunk. You can kinda see his white on this picture.

View attachment 2958962
And Nugget. Who passed away from a hawk attack on January 5th. She was a sweet girl. We got 4 eggs from her and all eggs are alive on Day 5 of incubation. Just trying to carry on a little piece of her.
I'm so sad you lost nugget :(

It's so lovely you have her eggs too carry on with your flock :love

Yes. My point is not that you should like or respect those people, just that you should recognize that they exist and that you don’t think like them. So your view of the value of ‘allotment raised eggs’ to them is most likely wrong.
You aren’t trying to make a business of this just to have them contribute to feed costs. In exchange they get to go on about how they ‘eat local produce’ and ‘support animal welfare’.
How much is a bag of chicken food pellets in the UK?
£17 for the untreated marriages forc20 kilos and £9.49 for 10 kilos of the medicated

Back
Top Bottom