Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I feel a bit better about the accommodations I will be providing my new flock next month. Right now I am a secondary caregiver at the family farm, but we are going to keep 6 chicks from the hatch and order for the backyard! My coop will be 8x8 so 10+ sq ft each in the coop (the framing is done but walls and interior still under construction), with an 8x20 hardware cloth roofed runrun for when we are not home so about 26 sq ft each. It will open into another fenced area with no top about 600 sq ft so an additional 100 sq ft to roam when we are home. I am off all summer and always home by 4pm so that should hopefully give them ample time in a larger space. In a neighborhood in a house butted up to the woods where coyotes and fox are, I think that’s the best we can do. I am not opposed to supervised free-ranging, but I can’t logistically leave them be without me because the town can ask for removal if they end up in someone’s yard and they make a complaint. I feel pretty comfortable with that arrangement for the girls. No rooster allowed unfortunately, otherwise I would love to introduce one to them next year. Would be much quieter than then neighborhood barking dogs and screeching owl…

Thanks for that @NatJ ; you've prompted me to examine the info on the one of the shop bought breads here that comes in a bag (we typically have 2 sorts of shop bread, one sold with and one without nutritional info, and sometimes homemade bread, lots of different types depending on mood and ingredient availability). It's fortified wheat flour (fortified with CaCo3, Fe, vits B3 and B1), water, yeast, salt, soya flour, emulsifiers (listed but too complicated to type), Calcium propionate (= preservative), and ascorbic acid. Sugars are 4.2%, protein 7.6%, salt 0.9%. Maybe the calcium could be an issue for non-laying birds?
WHAT? That's the list of ingredients from my supermarket bread :
IMG_20220607_135158.jpg

I can't see anything wrong with their current accomodation.
Dust, porous ceiling, windows so small that there isn't sufficient light and ventilation, perches and ladders and cow feeders at least 70 years old eaten by worms.
Because our climate is very dry and windy it's not as worse a problem as it could be, but still.
IMG_20220607_102619.jpg

WHAT? That's the list of ingredients from my supermarket bread :
View attachment 3139465

Dust, porous ceiling, windows so small that there isn't sufficient light and ventilation, perches and ladders and cow feeders at least 70 years old eaten by worms.
Because our climate is very dry and windy it's not as worse a problem as it could be, but still.
View attachment 3139467
your broody looks so tiny! Everso pretty, but barely bigger than the chicks!!!

Back
Top Bottom