Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yes, I know it's a long way away but one doesn't like to intrude. I missed 6 more I should point out in defence of Henry for anyone who thinks he may not be up to the job.
:confused::rolleyes::D
P1180222.JPG

This is the hen I think is unwell. She's not, or at least hasn't been, one of the lap hoppers until today.
Her bum has been a complete mess the past few days and this afternoon, given she is much more relaxed around me, I managed to clean a lot of the encrusted poop off the feathers. I'm going to have to cut some tomorrow. There is no way I can do my usual rub it out between my fingers because it isn't drying out properly.
P1180216.JPG

C sent me a text today telling me there was some food she had brought from work for the chickens. The bag of proper feed is almost empty now and the only pellets they've been getting is what I take with me, about 1.2 Kilo.
This is what I found when I opened the feed bin.
P1180233.JPG

About two handlfulls of this mixed grain left.
P1180235.JPG

C sent me a text today telling me there was some food she had brought from work for the chickens. The bag of proper feed is almost empty now and the only pellets they've been getting is what I take with me, about 1.2 Kilo.
View attachment 2965134

View attachment 2965135
Seriously? OMG.

My got-by-mistake ISA juveniles (Ginger and Goldilocks) are about 15 weeks old and I think mama Caramel is finally starting to cut the apron strings. They’re going through the funny skwonky voice change stage. She doesn’t cluck to call them over when she finds something tasty anymore, thought they’re still bedding down on the floor of the coop together. I’m surprised she has stayed with these gals for as long as she has. There was some nice sunshine this afternoon and they were still hanging around each other and enjoying the sun.

I realized when I went to fill up the waterer that the feeder was completely empty - and what a mad rush for food ensued as soon as I fixed the situation! It’s ridiculous that your birds should be in a situation that could easily be as terrible as the one they were ‘rescued’ from when they’re being fed sandwiches and scratch grains. 🙄😡 Perhaps C thinks (consciously or unconsciously) that you’re obviously more invested in properly caring for the birds and is backing off so you will take over the responsibility. If no one is collecting eggs or cleaning the coop or helping with feed costs, then I see absolutely no reason why you can’t feed every single egg (unless you personally want some) back to those birds.

1. Peanut enjoying the swing and sunshine.
2. Mobbing the freshly filled feeder.
3. Ginger jumping off the compost pile.
4. Ginger, Goldilocks, and Caramel preening in the sunshine.

Attachments

• D6A4BF4A-1155-4AB4-A139-42B8D2B74C96.jpeg
    D6A4BF4A-1155-4AB4-A139-42B8D2B74C96.jpeg
    837.4 KB · Views: 2
  • F79A42CB-5F32-4A7B-9DF8-585B0C4F6529.jpeg
    F79A42CB-5F32-4A7B-9DF8-585B0C4F6529.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 2
  • A26EA279-9A14-4D5E-80DD-1D9DDFAC00DA.jpeg
    A26EA279-9A14-4D5E-80DD-1D9DDFAC00DA.jpeg
    676.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B81F0FA0-4B93-43E3-AFA2-AE0AB5969333.jpeg
    B81F0FA0-4B93-43E3-AFA2-AE0AB5969333.jpeg
    770.1 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 2965134

View attachment 2965135
I used to be almost that clueless. At least she's thinking of them I suppose?

It seems to me that you have been "dumped on" Shad. All of the responsibility and none of the benefits.
Any chance of you getting official "ownership" of the chooks and their area. I worry that you'll get them all sorted then have the rug pulled out from under you. 😟

Back
Top Bottom