Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

What does he eat? Is his roost bar high enough to keep his bum out of the poop?
20201115_161253.jpg

He sleeps on the right end of the higher bar. It looks he had some diarrhea get caught in his tail feathers and just hardened up. I work thur through sat, so i don't get to spend much time with the birds on those days. I did notice he was in the middle of the roost bar when i got home from work last night, which struck me as unusual. He went to bed early tonight and his crop was pretty empty. I tried to feed him a scrambled egg when he was inside, but he only ate a small amount. All i can hope is that he just needs a bit more time to recover. The birds all eat the same food and the 3 hens are just fine.

Last edited:
View attachment 2970165

He sleeps on the right end of the higher bar. It looks he had some diarrhea get caught in his tail feathers and just hardened up. I work thur through sat, so i don't get to spend much time with the birds on those days. I did notice he was in the middle of the roost bar when i got home from work last night, which struck me as unusual. He went to bed early tonight and his crop was pretty empty. I tried to feed him a scrambled egg when he was inside, but he only ate a small amount. All i can hope is that he just needs a bit more time to recover. The birds all eat the same food and the 3 hens are just fine.
I found out through people with more experience than myself here in BYC that giving them a little solid coconut oil helped, just in case of there being any digestive problems plus I also found out (the same way) that a good medicated layers has helped with the vent issues.

Have you checked out if there are any mite issues or bumble foot? Not to worry if there is because you can find simple solutions for that here too :)

I hope he picks up soon he looks like a lovely boy

Just to add I was 100% organic with my girls but had to give in with the medicated feed, it's only done for 15 days two to three times a year. Then it's back to organic layers and the odd foods for us. In addition I like too make fermented feed for their probiotic in the morning on occasions I add flax seeds into the ferment as that's a form of omega and yogurt 3 times a week. The odd sardine is great for them too for even more omega

Last edited:
Well, Mr. Bumble is still alive. I brought him out in the run and watched him for a few minutes. He walked around a little bit, then just stood in one spot with his eyes closed. Now he is inside where I can monitor him better. I gave him some colloidal silver and tried to get him to eat some food. He was pecking at it, but didn't seem to actually ingest much.

Back
Top Bottom