Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I completely agree with you but to be honest, I find I have more and more difficulty to do this as time passes.
I do tend to get upset and even angry when people don't agree with me on things I feel very strongly about.
Now I just try to listen without voicing my own opinion, which I find a tad less difficult, and still better than just throwing definitive angry statements at each other.
Even that requires a conscious effort for me sometimes😬.
My father in law is a master at this. He loves talking to people just to see the way they think. He doesn’t talk much, just asks questions. Sometimes people accuse him of gaslighting but he doesn’t do it with any ill intent, he just likes seeing how people think and how their life experiences have shaped them. It’s a skill I aspire to.

Trying to get Laserbeak to use these other nesting boxes
20220327_105602.jpg
20220327_105548.jpg

My father in law is a master at this. He loves talking to people just to see the way they think. He doesn’t talk much, just asks questions. Sometimes people accuse him of gaslighting but he doesn’t do it with any ill intent, he just likes seeing how people think and how their life experiences have shaped them. It’s a skill I aspire to.
These type of people are the best of us humans; people who just genuinely like other people (not just putting on the appearance of liking people). As a teacher, I aspire to this especially on my very diverse campus, but it can be difficult. Sometimes I feel I really do like my dogs better than most of my colleagues. :oops:

Reminds me of my grandparents' great hero, Will Rogers, who called himself a humorist-philosopher. He said "I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn't like."

However you enjoy making fun of nice weather gardeners, you have to admit a bit of sunshine does make gardening a much more pleasant activity 😁. I'm sure the chickens are happy with this weather too!

I'm beginning to thing 4 years is pretty good for an ex-batt. My step father and his bunch of strange relations who keep getting ex-batts because they're so cheap say he usually keeps them for two years after getting them a year old.

I also think the ones you are seeing now are pretty tough to have survived before you arrived in their life, without you letting them out and checking they have a sufficient amount of food.

Henry and his sleeping beauties are quite a charming lot 😍.
I know I'm wicked with my fun making of the allotment gardeners. Yep, it's surprising what a bit of sunshine will do.
I just wish the allotment holders would share in some of the responsibility for not just the other creatures but also in the general upkeep of the place. Apart from that they are doing no harm. I'm a bit tired of hearing how they're helping to provide food for the family bit though. Most grow enough for a weeks worth of food at the best.

I completely agree with you but to be honest, I find I have more and more difficulty to do this as time passes.
I do tend to get upset and even angry when people don't agree with me on things I feel very strongly about.
Now I just try to listen without voicing my own opinion, which I find a tad less difficult, and still better than just throwing definitive angry statements at each other.
Even that requires a conscious effort for me sometimes😬.
You must have a more reasonable online manner then. You seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Curious to know : what do you if you really need to check on one? Get them at night ?
My lady bantam Chipie still runs screaming away from me though I have been trying to hand feed her every day for three months 😂.

That is definitely going to happen as the old farmer that gave us the couple of bantams is very keen that the girl should get broody so he can give us a handful of eggs for her.
His chickens are backyard mix grown at his place for generations.
However I don't see how Chipie could go broody for the moment since she spends her days running for her life from the ex-batts.
View attachment 3040542
She's a very pretty hen.
Yes, get them off the roost at night. Buy yourself a good headtorch if you don't already have one. They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to checking over chickens.

Back
Top Bottom