Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It drives me nuts that so many don't consider this. I don't always wear long pants if I know that none of the chickens are going to be hormonal (broodies/young birds) but a majority of the time I have long pants on. I will add that I have had young pullets go after my legs and feet much the same as any aggressive male would.
I know i should wear pants and rubber boots, but will often be in shorts & flip flops. In my defense, i'm from florida. :p

You just sweep him off/away with your hand?
I've got some pictures of a pair of roosters haing a scrap but I can't find them atm.
A rooster at shin height has a good deal of power left as he strikes you.
At waist height, if he gets up there a larged percentage of his power is exhausted and he will have to start shaping his wings for the fall if he misses you or not.
Not many domestic roosters will get to head height when fighting.
Roosters are like boxers, they have a lead foot. That's the foot he'll try and strike you with. The second foot is used to block the other roosters lead foot.
Anyway, yes I sweep my hand underneath them when they're in the air and throw them backwards. Gloves are good. Timing is important. You want your hand to be under his chest but above his feet ideally though with gloves it doesn't really matter.
However this is where being aware of your surroundings is important. You'll need to see him coming to do the sweep.

It drives me nuts that so many don't consider this. I don't always wear long pants if I know that none of the chickens are going to be hormonal (broodies/young birds) but a majority of the time I have long pants on. I will add that I have had young pullets go after my legs and feet much the same as any aggressive male would.
I suppose because looking after chickens has been part of a job for me I put on working clothes when I get up and they don't come off untill the day is finished I don't have to think about it.
I couldn't have done my job in flip flops and shorts. I wouldn't have any toes left!:D

I suppose because looking after chickens has been part of a job for me I put on working clothes when I get up and they don't come off untill the day is finished I don't have to think about it.
I couldn't have done my job in flip flops and shorts. I wouldn't have any toes left!:D
I own one pair of open toe sandals and I don't think I've worn them in 4 years. Admittedly the goats are of more concern than the chickens. It hurts a lot more when they step on a foot.

Tax from a few days ago. It's rainy and cold today.
IMG_20220321_171251680.jpg

Thank you. I might be employing this tactic with my roo.
Seriously, the best thing is the right clothes. Once a rooster or two has bounced off you a few times you'll stop worrying about it if you do worry about it. The persistant ones become an annoyance rather than a threat. Most just stop bothering after a while. That's when I start seriously trying to improve our relationship.

Last edited:
I own one pair of open toe sandals and I don't think I've worn them in 4 years. Admittedly the goats are of more concern than the chickens. It hurts a lot more when they step on a foot.
What I got fed up with is being sat on my arse by the ram.:lol: He always catches you right on the mid thigh and takes your legs out.

Last edited:
Seriously, the best thing is the right clothes. Once a rooster or two has bounced off you a few times you'll stop worrying about it if you do worry about it. The persistant ones become an annoyance rather than a threat. Most just stop bothering after a while. That's when I start seriously trying ti improve our relationship.
Fabio and I agree!! Nothing like a good pair of Carhartts.
IMG_20220403_104203361.jpg

What I got fed up with is being sat on my arse by the ram.:lol: He always catches you right on the mid thigh and take your legs out.
Yes the sheep are a real pain. The goats love to make a show out of getting pushy. Run backwards, rear up, dance around, hop after you on their back legs. Much easier to catch before they get you.

Back
Top Bottom