Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This thread has reached the quarter million views.:eek:
I did not expect anything like this response when I started it. It was, as I have written near the begining, more of a diary which would not necessarily be of much interest to most.

I would like to thank all of you who have read, contributed and supported this thread. It wouldn't have happened without you all.
Also thank you for trying to keep the thread on topic and paying your taxes.:p
Well, that is a lot! Congratulations!
I agree with @DobieLover, I came because it was the first big thread I found about ex-batts, and I definitely learned a lot.
Your threads brings a different perspective and a counterpoint from others on BYC where chickens are most often viewed as pets, or livestock.

I must be behind in my taxes: can this count?
Power-of-one-chicken-724x1024.jpg

I got myself a really cheap smartphone, I believe the quality of the photo it takes is slightly below what is required to enter. And I'm forbidding myself from looking at all those picture competition threads because someone thinks I should be helping him work instead of spending time on my phone!
To enter the photo contests that are not going to be printed in a calendar your resolution is just fine. I would enter the pictures! They are great!

One question, do you guys ever just throw poo filled shavings directly in a garden bed? I was thinking at the end of growing season just covering all the beds with uncomposted coop litter.
Should be fine after the growing season. Chicken poo is supposedly too high in ammonia to be used directly on plants.

And can I ask a cat question. 🐈?
On Shad's thread? :eek:
;)

My chickens always make a typical and recognisable sound if they spot a cat.
So do my alpacas. I don't know why. No cats come into the alpaca/chicken pasture but if they spot one in the field they alert to the "danger."

Then Mary (the biggest hen - about twice the size of Blossom, the cat)
You must have BIG chickens and a small cat! Even our lightest cat at something over 8 pounds (probably about 2 kg) weighs more than my biggest hen. Not that it matters since the cats aren't allowed out of the house and the chickens are not allowed in.

You really should rise you’re prise. Here people pay € 2,40 for 6 eggs with in/outside space. And € 3,00 for 6 organic eggs.
You get a lot for your eggs. The Euro and US dollar are on par now. I sell a dozen eggs for $4. Not organic since their feed isn't organic. They are partly organic since they forage :D

When I started out with my flock a little over 4 years ago the price of a 50 lb bag of feed was $17.99. The last three times I went to the feed store to get feed the price had gone up each time. The last time at the local feed store I always go to the price was at $26.49.
Ouch! Are you buying organic? I don't since it is about that price. Regular layer is $14 for 50 pounds (22.7 kg).

Ouch! Are you buying organic? I don't since it is about that price. Regular layer is $14 for 50 pounds (22.7 kg).
Oh I would be thrilled to pay $14 for a 50lb bag of feed. 😲 organic lay is $30+++ and just regular layer crumble is $26 and ⬆️⬆️⬆️. I have managed to keep my feed bill around $100 the last few months. Smarter me getting smarter feeders. 🤔💡

On a cool note. Emptied one compost bin and closed and turned the other.
20220706_071457.jpg
Opened to check on bug status and saw dozen and dozens of sergeant fly larvae slithering back into hiding in the muck.
20220706_074724.jpg

The larvae drop between the cracks of the tumbler where I can get 50 to 100 a day on the tray below. Warm weather bumper harvest yum!

Back
Top Bottom