Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Last tax for a few weeks. Tomorrow morning we pack the last bits and then: fahrn fahrn fahrn auf der Autobahn. šŸš˜.

View attachment 3213920

Three gatekeepers. Trying to withhold the bosses entering the house.

Pic was made this afternoon. One of the favourite spots to enjoy the sun!

And a happy perfect timing ā± I have a flock of 6 hens again. They all roost together with just a little fuss.
Have a safe trip and a nice holiday ! Glad Kraai found her place within your flock
The incubator I have turns the eggs every 90 minutes, and that is adjustable however I haven't a clue how to adjust it as the manual is in English but everything on the incubator is in Chinese :confused:
Love this šŸ˜ says a lot about the world we live in!
I have another study somewhere on the importance of daylight for developing eggs. I'll see if I can find it.
Now you have me questioning if hatching a chick that has and abnormal slow growth may have something to do with the fact that Chipie brooded in the darkest corner of the coop šŸ™.
View attachment 3214224
Viejito, Blackie.

View attachment 3214225Doesn't look like a fair fight does it?
They are both stunning and I say this even though I don't like the looks of silkies.
I would use coconut oil but the problem is they eat that so may well cause problems šŸ˜•
Please don't, coconut oil will not stop UV harming your skin, quite the opposite !

In my extremist opinion, the only reasonable thing to do is to split things. If you go to the sea for swimming don't bathe in the sun, keep your clothes on and put them back on after swimming. If you go sunbathing ...don't go feeding chemicals to all sea life.
If you really, really intend to do both many beaches have shower. Take a shower before going swimming and the best would be to use neutral soap like Castille or Marseille to get the sunscreen off.
During the 13 years I lived in Nice I only went a few times at the beach during the day- always went before 8am or after 7pm!

A few weeks ago my partner bought some furniture to make a real covered run for the chickens. What we have outside of the coop now is more like a pen covered with nettings. We'll be covering the surface partly with steel sheets, partly with polycarbonate to let some light in- it's stays shady almost all day. I'm a bit sceptical that the polycarbonate will hold up to our weather but we'll see. It will also allow us to gain back three meters square that we lost when we secured the pen the first time because we didn't want to pour concrete on the poles, which is the only way to hold them in the part further east. I'm hoping we can do this next week when my partner comes back from his lone mountain break away from me šŸ¤£.

Chipie has become the new queen of terror for the four young ones. As soon as one of them spots her, it makes alarm whistles and everyone sprints away for safety.
Yesterday, she decided to lay behind the blue, blurry umbrella on the picture and summoned loudly ThĆ©o to stay on guard duty for almost an hour šŸ¤£.
IMG_20220807_141925~2.jpg

IMG_20220806_074509~2.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky you - I've never been but I'd like to; it looks fantastic on the telly!
Have you lived anywhere in between the extremes of mountain-tops and the beach? :D
Nice is, or was, a wonderful place to live in for someone like me who enjoyed outdoor sports, had no kids and enough money to own a flat. However as a touristic destination I think it is way overrated. If you enjoy seaside tourism, the beaches are not very nice, all covered in pebbles, and the sea is dirty. If you're interested in culture and architecture the old town is nice but very small. I think it's only worth it if one takes the time to travel in all the small beautiful villages in the hills behind Nice where there are churches, museums and various sites of interest. Basically I would recommend going for the real thing : almost any place in Italy is a hundred times nicer for tourism šŸ¤£. Especially if you like to eat.

I lived the 28 first years of my life in various suburbs of Paris and in Paris itself, and then spent two years in Lyon getting my degree in Library Science, before arriving in Nice. I'm a city girl that always dreamed of living in the mountains!
I think you owe tax for that because you're the one that got me rambling completely off topic šŸ¤£.

What's the make of the incubator? :)
Hi @Marie2020 Not sure if it is the same as mine but my incubator turns about every hour as well. Itā€™s a Nurture Right 360.

I would love to hatch with a broody, but unfortunately we havenā€™t had one! Also, working in the city public school and hatching in my classroom is only possible with an incubator. Chickens arenā€™t allowed in the city, so 90% of my students had never seen chickens or chicks, and bringing them that experience for me justified using an incubator. A bunch of them are now striving to move out of the city, grow veggies (the other unit I do), and keep chickens in the country when they grow up. Next year I might try hatching quail with the class, my aunt has a flock and said she would take the babies afterwards.

Last edited:
What's the make of the incubator? :)
I have an Rcom Pro20 and really enjoy it. It cleans easy, has very decent hatch rates and is built solid. A few more $ than most but I am happy. (I also have a cabinet incubator- Sportsman GQF 1520, that has given me GREAT hatches but it is not set up at the moment.)

Heā€™s truly stunning! He could be the foundation sire for your new chicken breed called the Prince of Wales. I mean there are Lady Amherst pheasants, right? :gig
lovely idea, and I'm sure the pretty Venka chicks are his, but I fear he's going to lose the throne soon. He was uncharacteristically grumpy yesterday, and today it became obvious why: he's started his molt. Phoenix is hovering in the wings...

Back
Top Bottom