Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thank you. I realized that it was you but I got the food mixed up (after a search). You were using milk + wheat flakes or oats, not wheat bran.

This is great information that I am going to bookmark. I love that you were reading old books for chicken keeping.
Thanks; I'm glad you're finding it useful. I have old fashioned breeds, so it seemed appropriate to try old fashioned practices with them :p

This thing is just moving way too slow.

Screenshot_20220928-144709_Chrome.jpg

I think that must have been someone else as I used very little bran; as chick feed and with them on grass from day 2, I gave several times a day and in small quantities some of the following: milk-soaked bread (or fermented-feed-liquor-soaked bread), chopped boiled egg, wheat flakes, oats (not whole), cornmeal, ground dry cat food (or smashed sardines or peanut butter), a little veg oil, natural yogurt, currants, and live mealworms. For most of the day every day their broodies led them to forage for assorted flora and fauna in the garden.
Approximately how many times a day did you feed them and was it a measured quantity?

Approximately how many times a day did you feed them and was it a measured quantity?
It varies a lot, largely depending on the weather. If it is fine, the broody typically has them off somewhere foraging in ever increasing circles, and they'd be around the back door (broody would bring them as she thought required) only once or twice between breakfast and dinner. If it is raining, they're near the back door almost all day and might eat 8 or 9 times. And everything in between, depending on the weather.

I don't measure portions in the traditional sense (and I imagine it would change almost daily with growing chicks, at least in the first 6 weeks). I put out as much as I think that many chicks at that age will eat; 15 mins later I look in, and if they've had enough, they've moved on, and I bring in the bowls and wash them up; if they haven't had enough, the bowls are empty and they're still there, so I give a little more.

@Shadrach

The following pictures are of one of my Rhode Island Reds.

She has almost all of her feathers back except her tail feathers.

She has some spurs on her legs.

This picture is of the spurs:
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

This is feathers on head and neck.
IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

This is where the tail feathers should be:
Looks like they are coming in:
IMG_1972.JPG

This picture might be better for the tail feathers:
IMG_1971.JPG

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom