Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My chickens go crazy for rice too. Yesterday I noticed they even prefer rice over black eyed beans 🫘 🍚 .

Reading on BYC I noticed that my chickens won’t eat things other chickens like a lot. Recently I noticed that they do eat raw potato , carrot and other veggies 🥦 🥕 if cut into very small pieces, about the size of pellets.

Preference of food goes the other way around too. Someone told me their chickens don’t even like yummie mealworms and grasses.

PS @ManueB , had to laugh because you say French rice. 🤣
Maybe try a bit more quality rice like Basmati or Jasmine. And follow instructions or buy a rice cooker (about all people from Asia use steam rice cookers) .

I cook Jasmine rice in the microwave oven.

It only takes 8 to 12 minutes depending on the amount I'm cooking.

Tax from last post and/or lurker tax..
Everyone likes their spring greens; this is midmorning today. It is an overcast day but not as dark as it looks - the camera didn't adjust well.

Attachments

• 3FA099AC-2B6C-487F-8A3A-42ABB633D7DF.jpeg
    3FA099AC-2B6C-487F-8A3A-42ABB633D7DF.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Good morning X Batts. Being a old lady long grey hair not often loose Smudge gives me wider berth if it is loose. We have rain just now too.View attachment 3442201
I wonder why ? Do you think Smudge doesn't recognize you when your hair is loose ?
PS @ManueB , had to laugh because you say French rice. 🤣
Maybe try a bit more quality rice like Basmati or Jasmine. And follow instructions or buy a rice cooker (about all people from Asia use steam rice cookers) .
I can manage a decent steam cooked basmati or thaï rice though I'm usually wrong on the quantity.
As you could probably guess by now, we don't have electric kitchen appliances, and we don't like buying stuff from the other side of the world, so I still sometimes eat disgusting french camargue rice 🤣.
A better relatively local option is the Italian arborio for risotto but it does need to be watched during the whole cooking time.

Cholo Jr, now and back when his beak was fresh broken offView attachment 3443724
The bottom picture shows a month's progress. I believe it is slowly growing back. He eats well, now he's almost as big as his father. From a distance I can tell them apart only by Cholo's huge wattles and Jr's unusual run. He does a kind of skip, hop run. Cholo lowers his head and charges like a bull.

The first time I let my broodies hatch chicks, they got into nasty weather and a few chicks got a cold. Within a few days all the chicks were coughing but the mothers were unharmed.
Some chicks cured (without medication) within 2 weeks. The last one took 6 weeks to recover and got behind in growth. But they all got through it.

Btw, people on the Dutch forum gave me advice what to do. Most members said I needed to go to a vet and ask for antibiotics.
A few said that I shouldn’t if I wanted strong chickens. Giving antibiotics to the chicks could help fast but they would get very vulnerable for other diseases afterwards. I new I was risking they would die one way or the other. But Black and Pearl are still around , almost 8 years old now. There was a 3th pullet I sold at 5 years old with 2 chicks. The cockerels went to hobbyist who sells chicks/chickens at point of lay. He had incubated a large group of white layers and were about the same age (so my my cockerels were smaller). He planned to give the cockerels to people who like to have a rooster with their flock.

View attachment 3443109
Black and Pearl.

I don't understand why people give their chickens antibiotics in many instances.
Antibiotics are for active infections. A cold wont respond to antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom