Shaky v/s The Skunk-Need stink control advice.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2boxers, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    My boxer, Belle, is notorious for her skunk chasing. She chases them all the time but she's very smart & very fast and she rarely gets sprayed. Her son Shaky, though, is another story. Apparently he didn't get out of the way fast enough this evening and the skunk nailed him-right in the head, full force. We have our windows in the house open because the weather is pretty decent. I was in the bathroom giving my daughter a bath when the smell hit. I had my husband go check the dogs, and my husband let the dogs in the house! D'oh! Luckily, they came straight to me and I smelled them fast & got them out before they could rub against anything.

My problem is this: They stink. I mean, they REEK. It's breath-taking, to say the least. I need a good skunk stink removal recipe. In the past we have tried Dawn+baking soda+peroxide with do-able results. Has anyone tried the stuff they sell at TSC? Anybody got any ideas? These are big dogs, and tomato juice is NOT an option.

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    We recommend this one at our vet clinic. Usually works like a dream.

1 Quart 3% Peroxide
    1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    1 Tablespoon liquid dish soap (Dawn/Ivory)

Mix well and soak on dog for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. Repeat if necessary.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I hear the store bought stuff does work better than anything else available or concocted.... but, I can't give my word.. it's just what I heard. I wish I could remember where this debate has taken place... must have been on one of the pit bull forums. There was a big discussion about which treatment works best to remove the scent. It was pretty well agreed on that tomato juice doesn't work and even though some of the homemade concoctions do work, that store bought stuff was the best... just pricey.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I've nvr tried this myself but both my mother and MIL have told me to use Tomato Juice. [​IMG]

5. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Y'all, thanks. We are going to try the homemade remedy tomorrow night. If it doesn't work, we are buying the stuff at TSC. I miss my babies!

6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    1 Quart 3% Peroxide
    1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    1 Tablespoon liquid dish soap (Dawn/Ivory)

I have used the above recipe and it works!​

7. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Club soda, baking soda, vanilla extract........from cornell............

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Liquid soap is definitely a key ingredient.... and it works. Just like Texasgirl, my vet recommends the same mixture.

All those products in the stores don't really break the oil like liquid soap does.

Most important part: wash the dog where he/she was sprayed. It's usually the face and the chest ... and they hate to be washed around the face!

Good luck!!!!!!

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I can't help you with the dog, we left ours out in the kennel for a week after she got sprayed, but I did learn a trick to get the skunk smell out of a house...ours got sprayed right on the deck that we have the fan blowing cool air into the house...ya, it was dreadful beyond words!

Anyway burn brown sugar in a pot on the stove and it takes the smell right out of the house.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Simmering vanilla on the stove top or in one of those little potpourri crock pots works for taking out the smell in the environment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by