Sure fire way to get rid of a traveling skunk...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Our skunks are stupid enough to go into a live trap that’s sitting right out in the open. We attach a LONG wire to the back of the trap and drag it away from the coops before shooting them. We got 4 in a week this spring.

An animal control officer in NM taught me a great trick for dealing with a trapped skunk and I have used it to advantage. She held a blanket up in front of her as she approached the skunk in the trap so the critter couldn't see her. When she got up to the trap, she covered it with the blanket, then picked it up. She then put the whole thing in an irrigation ditch and held it down with a stout stick till it stopped moving. I don't have an irrigation ditch, but if I catch a skunk I will cover it as she did, then try to shoot it from behind the blanket so it can't see me. If the skunk can't see you it won't spray.

We use an old blanket or tarp just like that, then take the trapped skunk, with blanket, to a hole dug for it's burial. Pull the tarp back a bit, and shoot it in the head, unless it's to be rabies tested, then a body shot. They spray from the rear, so facing you isn't going to get you sprayed. And if it's to be tested, the burial site isn't necessary.
Since having a very good coop for overnight, at least, critters needing to be trapped are few and far between.
Mary

I remember a few tricks from my early years for catching pesky critters; may be worth a try.
Paint a fake egg inside of a tunnel on a wall-skunk sees the egg, runs toward it and BAM! knocks himself out.
or
Place a sea-saw near the coop where the skunk is going to get the eggs. Suspend a piano from a rope over the ‘up’ end of the sea-saw and hold it there until the skunk approaches. Make sure to hide around the corner of the coop and keep the slack out of the rope by coiling it at your feet. Once the skunk steps onto the down end of the sea-saw let go of the rope. 😏

I remember a few tricks from my early years for catching pesky critters; may be worth a try.
Paint a fake egg inside of a tunnel on a wall-skunk sees the egg, runs toward it and BAM! knocks himself out.
or
Place a sea-saw near the coop where the skunk is going to get the eggs. Suspend a piano from a rope over the ‘up’ end of the sea-saw and hold it there until the skunk approaches. Make sure to hide around the corner of the coop and keep the slack out of the rope by coiling it at your feet. Once the skunk steps onto the down end of the sea-saw let go of the rope. 😏
:lau Are these from the RoadRunner vs Wile E. Coyote Method of Varmint Control?

or
Okay, Mr. Coyote (aka Wile E.). Looks like it's time to go back to the ACME catalog ... again ...
:D

Back
Top Bottom