Shale pieces instead of pea gravel in duck run?

Hudsonsgirl

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
East Tennessee
I have an abundant amount of natural shale on our property. Essentially I'm thinking I could save money by using shale instead of pea gravel. I'd be using shale only around the ducks pool to keep the area around it dry.

Would it be harmful to use shale instead of pea gravel for this? Thanks! I will check this post throughout the day, as we are expanding their duck run. 🦆

I have an abundant amount of natural shale on our property. Essentially I'm thinking I could save money by using shale instead of pea gravel. I'd be using shale only around the ducks pool to keep the area around it dry.

Would it be harmful to use shale instead of pea gravel for this? Thanks! I will check this post throughout the day, as we are expanding their duck run. 🦆
I think it should be fine as long as there are no sharp pieces or ones that are too big. I'd suggest you break larger pieces into smaller pieces.

Hmmm. They are all less than 1.5" pieces. They do walk on them whenever they venture around the yard and we haven't had any injuries as if yet. Do you think they would eat them?
If they are smart enough not to eat pea pebbles they should be smart enough not to eat it. However I'm not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom