Shallow puncture wound (cat)

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
We've been so worried the last few days as our cat Stash, (named that after the white, "mustache" she sports above her nose 😂) ;disappeared without a trace since Sunday. No sign of her, and we live in an area were when cats disappear, they dont come back. Theres too many predators. She's an indoor outdoor cat, and a Siamese Manx mix. She's the smartest one of the bunch, humming bird catcher, and never stands in an open space.
After being worried for days, I'm happy to announce that this afternoon she came home! I was over joyed to find her, and upon bringing her inside and inspecting her, I found a small "puncture" wound on her haunches next to her tail. It's not that deep, but definitely a shallow hole. She scratched me and ran under the dryer when I tried to look at it. This evening after she settles in I'm going to clean it and apply a thick layer of Neosporin, but thats going to be really hard to do with a hissing, flailing, scratching cat. Ideas on how to keep her still and calm? She's not a barn cat or anything and is very used to our attention and pets, but not a smuggler.
I've tried wrapping her in towels, but she just backs out of that and escapes. Ideas? I plan to rinse with Saline and Veterycin, (which ever I can squirt easier) and then apply a thick layer of Neosporin. I also have "Bitter Yuck" spray to keep pets from licking things. Should I spray that over the top of the Neosporin to keep her from licking it?
Thanks everyone for your help! I wonder what she tussled with out there to get this injury. I can get photos if needed.

Should I spray that over the top of the Neosporin to keep her from licking it?
I would do this to keep from licking. :thumbsup Does cat have rabies shot current?? That would concern me if bitten by another unknown animal in the wild.

Glad you got your kittie back:hugs

Keep us updated on her progress.

If she is getting out of the towel wraps it means you aren't wrapping her tight enough. You might try a pillow case.

I would do this to keep from licking. :thumbsup Does cat have rabies shot current?? That would concern me if bitten by another unknown animal in the wild.

Glad you got your kittie back:hugs

Keep us updated on her progress.
Thank you! I'm pretty sure she's up to date, thats totally a concern I didn't even think about.
We're so, so to have her back, she's such a good one. 🥰:celebrate

If she is getting out of the towel wraps it means you aren't wrapping her tight enough. You might try a pillow case.
Ya, I figured we probably need to wrap her tighter.
Last night after she calmed down, she was laying the perfect position exposing the wound, and allowed me to cut the hair back a bit from the area. She started to get irritated, so I got a few good squirts with Veterycin before she was over it.
I haven't been able to look at it this morning, but I've gotten a good report saying it looks better. I'll tell you what I see what I can get eyes on it. Thank you everyone!

You'll probably want to keep a good eye on this. If it is a cat bite, which is very possible, it could become an abscess. Daily monitoring will be needed. Good job clipping the hair away from it--that will help you see it. Good luck!

You'll probably want to keep a good eye on this. If it is a cat bite, which is very possible, it could become an abscess. Daily monitoring will be needed. Good job clipping the hair away from it--that will help you see it. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm going to give it a good cleaning this afternoon, I think it will need it. She snuck out the door this morning. She's an outdoor kitty all the way, its really hard to keep her inside.
Once she comes in tonight, I'll clean it the best I can and do my best to keep her in until its healed. Punctures are tricky.

I wonder what it might have been that got her. We have almost every predator, but I'm thinking the most likely predator is Coyote. What do you think?
We have- Birds of prey, bears, Coyotes, Raccoons, Bobcats, Weasels, Cougars, and more. It could have been another cat, but we live in a small town in the forest, so not usually any other cats too close to us.

I'm with your thinking, Coyote. Not likely another cat. I seen cat fight, and they aim to make injuries in head area. Also much scratching injuries as well.
Coyote was in pursuit of an escaping cat and got hold where possible. :idunno :(

I was able to catch her and bring her in a couple hours ago. I got a good layer of Neosporin on it, and sprayed Bitter Yuck over the top so she doesn't lick it.
She escaped again not to long ago, but I think she'll come in soon as she's been sticking pretty close to home since the incident.
Poor baby. She gets so defensive and nervous whenever we pick her up. It must hurt. It'll only make her smarter right. We've never had a cat survive a chase. She's so lucky, definitely use one of her 9 lives.

Back
Top Bottom