Shallow puncture wound (cat)

I'm with your thinking, Coyote. Not likely another cat. I seen cat fight, and they aim to make injuries in head area. Also much scratching injuries as well.
Coyote was in pursuit of an escaping cat and got hold where possible. :idunno :(
Ya, thats my through. You'd think you'd see other scratches etc if it was a cat fight, and Stash would have lots of wounds as I know she would fight back.
This looks like a tooth or a claw. Maybe something swiped at her and missing? Man she's lucky. We're assuming it chased her up a tree, gave up, and she sat in the tree for 2 day until she though it was safe. Then came home.

In my experience, if it was a coyote, she'd be dead and you wouldn't have found her. I would lay money on a roaming, unneutered male cat.

Keep a very close eye since she keeps getting outdoors--maggot season is upon us!
Same here. We've never ever had a cat escape a Coyote attack. I could have been another cat, but I've heard about cat fights. It seems like the type of injury would be different. Plus, she was gone for 3 days, so were assuming she got chased by something, and hid in a tree until coming down seemed safe. :idunno
I really have no clue what could have happened out there. Its all a guess.

Bob, was attacked by a large coon hound we were fostering about 11 years ago. That dog had the largest teeth I’ve ever seen to this day. He bit down on Bob’s back end and put a series of large bowling ball style holes in him. The vet said to flush the wounds twice a day with betadine and it would most likely heal on its own. He also had a script for antibiotics just in case. Fortunately for us he was complied with his treatment. Can you put a cone on him to stop licking?

Last edited:
Bob, was attacked by a large coon hound we were fostering about 11 years ago. That dog had the largest teeth I’ve ever seen to this day. He bit down on Bob’s back end and put a series of large bowling ball style holes in him. The vet said to flush the wounds twice a day with betadine and it would most likely heal on its own. He also had a script for antibiotics just in case. Fortunately for us he was complied with his treatment. Can you put a cone on him to stop licking?
I can’t do a cone because this cat loves the outdoors, and it’s almost impossible to keep her from escaping.
I’ve been spraying with Vetrycin and covering with Neosporin daily, and so far it’s scabbed over with no signs of infection. I’ll keep you guys posted on how it looks today. Thanks for all the help!

And you have made sure her rabies vaccine is current? In fact, after a wound from an unknown other animal, she needs a booster NOW anyway! Call your vet Monday for an appointment. This is important!
I agree that it's likely a wound from a cat, they will bite at the rear end often.
Mary
And lock her up indoors while this is healing. Indoor room, something.

Back
Top Bottom