Shame on me... please dont judge

Congratulations on your success! They are adorable
love.gif

Did I read your other post correctly? God I hope not! Did you say you bought grocery store eggs and they hatched??
sickbyc.gif

OMG... no freaking way..tell me that isnt true!

Nope you read wrong.. I said I was dumpster diving behind a sav a lot grocery store for veggies for my chickens and they had thrown out thousands of eggs. yes thousands.. still in the egg crates. If they had not busted them up I would have fed the county on that dive.
anyway.. I took several cartons of eggs home with me intending to boil them for my dog and chickens and forgot them and left them on my picnic table in the back yard. it was summer.
after a week or so or more I took them into a wooded area and cracked them open just to see what was in there. and there was tiny beginngs of baby chickens. in a few of t hem not all of them.
It had the big eye and the curved back and it was swimming in the jelly like stuff.. egg white..
they had been lying in the sun for at least 10 days or more. but of course they died.
I have no idea if i could have saved them or when they started growing. but for sure an embyro was in those eggs.

Quote:
Quite a few people have had success hatching store bought eggs.

How is that possible? I thought cockrels were culled by the big boys, with the layers monitored in a specific area. How could a layer with no roo access lay a fertile egg??

Wow, very interesting!
CHristina

Well all I know is that there have been several threads on here of people that have tried it.
If you buy store bought eggs sometimes you will notice that bullseye and see that they are fertile.
Not all farmer's get rid of their roosters, they need them for flock protection.
Its possible some producers sell eggs and meatbirds and therefore would have both around and if they were really good owners(like not the commercial type) they would be letting them outside and could possibly mix with a rooster.

The big commercial producers who keep them in those tiny little cages and the birds never see the light of day would probably not be sending out any fertile eggs.

Most everyone who has hatched the store bought eggs has ended up with leghorns since they are most commonly used for egg production.

Back
Top Bottom