SHAMO VS. BARRED PLYMOUTH ROCKS what to get needing more info

josh44

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I am getting in a new breed, I cant decide weather to get Shamos bantams or barred plymouth rocks.

DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE PLACE FOR THIS ???

BUT HERE IT GOES,

I would get them both but can't,
barnie.gif

So I need your help BYC'ers

Both breeds are from quality lines,
I like both breeds equally,

I am thining a simple vote might help out.

D.gif
D.gif

(SHAMOS Bantams) OR (Barred Rocks Large fowl)

What are you wanting them for? Showing or Eggs?

If they're for eggs and general flock keeping, go with the barred rocks.

If you want something unique to exhibit (there aren't usually a lot of bantam shamo shown these days), or just a really neat bird, then get the shamos. Just know that you will not be able to keep the males penned with each other for long at all once they mature. So be prepared to have multiple pens of some sort to house them.

Shamo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the thing - First, either you want Rocks or Shamos, do NOT expect to get good stuff right away or from any hatchery/feedstore/neighborhood backyard breeder.
wink.png

Second, if you want to show them - I'd highly recommend the Shamos. Now, they're super rare in bantam form, but SO worth the time and money. They're very friendly towards people, they're very beautiful, and you're helping increase the population of a rare breed. Also, when showing, you'll get a lot of heads turning.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom