Shamos pics and comments

Quote:
Yeah, large difference in cultures. I have noticed that among the Asians in the United States, birds are not focused much on their gameness. Like you say you have eight cocks together. While here in America, the UK, Australia, or typically any European countries involving gamefowl gameness is the key focus. And if a bird can be around another cock, they are considered junk- then culled. 200 is a cheap deal on Shamos, and Thais etc in the US.. I know of some folks who sell one cock alone for upwards of 1000.

What I don't understand, is that for example, the game cock I recently bought has fought many fights, and yet when allowed to free range on our property, he is no problem at all. Cock fighting is huge in Thailand, and the price for a particular bird is set according to it's fighting abilities. Some fighting cocks cost more than 10, 000 Thai Baht, which is still cheap by comparison to prices charged in other countries. Of course fighting cock are extremely common over here, so that alone influences the price of them. The one I have was actually a gift, and the $30 I paid was in turn a token of appreciation. Maybe if I got another one with similar fighting abilities, I'd have problems, but at the moment, he is the king here on my property, and none of the others are brave enough to challenge his authority. I mean, these are birds which are bred purely for fighting, and yet, given enough space, they seem to work things out between themselves. I'll soon find out I suppose, because I have my eye on another one
lol.png

Quote:
A story I remember from my grandfather and his friends in Cuba back pre revolution. Was that if one of their gamecocks is released on one end of a lg field and another on the other end. They would follow the sound of each others crow and do their deed. Now these are not shamos but the game concept is the same?

44626_dsc04535.jpg
[/URL]img]

44626_dsc04505.jpg
[/URL]mg]

pride&joy :

Quote:
A story I remember from my grandfather and his friends in Cuba back pre revolution. Was that if one of their gamecocks is released on one end of a lg field and another on the other end. They would follow the sound of each others crow and do their deed. Now these are not shamos but the game concept is the same?

[/[URL='https://www.backyardchicken...chickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc04535.jpg[/URL]img]

[/i[URL='https://www.backyardchicke...chickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc04505.jpg[/URL]mg]

The game definition should be the same indeed, I know like American gamefowl they are the same way. It seems to be something about the bankiva fowl that just gives them a pure hatred for other birds, so much that they will even follow the sound of another cocks crow just to go fight. I guess like mentioned before, it is just selection by European countries. But then that isn't to single out the Orientals, since some are like that too I believe, particularly in the Asils I would imagine.

-Daniel​

Last edited:
I loved my Shamos! I had a trio of Wheaten Shamos and they were some of the best chickens I ever had. The hens were both a little skittish, but my Rooster was such a handsome, sweet guy. I showed him a few times and people were always so interested in him and his breed. He even got his picture in the newspaper once! If I ever get a chance to keep chickens again, Shamos are going to be some of the first I get. I'm glad to see people as enthusiastic about them as I was. :)

i purchased a trio of Black Breasted Red Shamos in February and i have 5 three month old babies running around. They are so awesome! i get home from work and they come running out to the truck. i keep sunflower seeds and they eat them out of my hand.
here is a pic of the parents
My camera sucks, i have to get some baby pics

Sue

Back
Top Bottom