Shape of eggs has changed drastically....whats the deal?

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
My EE has always consistently laid nicely shaped very light green eggs. Lately, she has been laying some HUGE, and VERY abnormally shaped eggs. Not double yolkers tho. Some are bumpy, like a roller coaster (not like calcium bumps). Very "unnattractive" eggs. The one today is almost as big on the smaller end as the larger end. Others look squeezed to a point. The bottoms are also a different color and kind of wrinkled. What could be the deal? I know not all eggs come out like the ones in a commercial egg box, but why would all of her eggs lately be all wonky? She's a little under a year and a half old.

Here's the one from today, which is actually not even close to the strange shapes she's been laying. Its next to my BOs (?) Egg, I think.

59865_2011-09-07_21-11-44_506.jpg

I get some of those long pill shaped ones from a couple of my girls, they're no big deal, I figure they're just a little oversized. One of the pullets this year laid a "wrinkled" at the end egg- kind of like ripples in a pond at the broader end, but hard. No idea what that was about, but they got back to normal.

Might just be going through a weird time right now- is she getting ready to molt? She seems like she's getting close to that age, and maybe her body's just being a little quirky while it preps for that.

As long as the shell is still nice and hard, and she doesn't seem pained when she's passing them, just ride it out is my advice.

I think I would crack it in skillet, scramble it up and make me a sandwich. If it taste good I would all is well with the hen and go looking for another egg like that. Everything we pass from our body don't always look the same either.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom