Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

I did find all four out of their box last night as I checked them on my way to bed. So, I went to put them back in, and Mama objected--first aggression I've seen from her for me messing with the kits. But I distracted her with some oats and got them put back. Didn't see them out today, so either they decided they didn't like it, or can go back and forth.

Tomorrow they will be two weeks old. I think maybe this weekend I'll try moving them all to their new larger cage. Should I just move the stinky nestbox, or go ahead and clean it out and restock with new hay? I could also take the pegboard bottom off and allow it to drain that way.

When I've had a nest box that needed cleaning, I've just pulled out the dirty bedding and replaced it with new. They should be old enough now that a change-out of bedding shouldn't be too disruptive, but you could also put some of the fur (if clean enough) back in, too.

They did make a successful move to the larger cage and seem to enjoy the space. Mama Apple is much more active, and the littlest bounce in and out. They are munching at the pellets and hay, which brings up a question. I've been treating mama with oats, boss, and sometimes some alfalfa pellets. Are those ok for the littles too, or should I wean Mama off her treats?

They did make a successful move to the larger cage and seem to enjoy the space. Mama Apple is much more active, and the littlest bounce in and out. They are munching at the pellets and hay, which brings up a question. I've been treating mama with oats, boss, and sometimes some alfalfa pellets. Are those ok for the littles too, or should I wean Mama off her treats?
Alfalfa pellets and hay should be free fed to lactating does and kits. BOSS helps boost lactation, so now that they are starting to wean, you can lay off those. Oats are fine. The kits get all their digestive enzymes from their mother at this point. That means, anything she can eat, they can eat. They are getting the required bacterias for digestion via their mother's milk. This is part of the reason why I start greens before they are fully weaned. It doesn't cause issues if they have the necessary bacterias for digesting those things. It's when you start them on greens and other goodies long after they are weaned that can be problematic. The bacterias that don't get used regularly can get flushed from the system, leading to digestive complications.

Thanks! I should clarify that the alfalfa pellets are different than their rabbit ration pellets that both doe and kits have full feeders. I actually picked the straight alfalfa pellets up for my chooks during winter, so have just been using them as a bun treat since they're not balanced like the regular pellets, and I thought I read they were higher in protein than needed regular. They do get timothy hay at all times too. Mama Apple has become an oats junkie--begs every time she sees anyone.

Thanks! I should clarify that the alfalfa pellets are different than their rabbit ration pellets that both doe and kits have full feeders. I actually picked the straight alfalfa pellets up for my chooks during winter, so have just been using them as a bun treat since they're not balanced like the regular pellets, and I thought I read they were higher in protein than needed regular. They do get timothy hay at all times too. Mama Apple has become an oats junkie--begs every time she sees anyone.

Do you feed rolled oats or whole oats? I had some rolled oats leftover from when I had ducklings (all adults now), so I mixed some in with the kindling does' feed and they seem to be fans.

The first time I bought oats at the local feed mill, I just asked for a "bag of oats" and got a 40# bag of whole oats.
lol.png

About a week and a half to go until my second SF doe and my Am Chin doe kindle. While this will be her first litter, the SF is already haystaching (both SF does seem to have really good mothering instincts, and were very easy breeders - big bonuses). This will be the Chin's second litter (NZ crosses), and hopefully it goes more smoothly than her first...she lost half that litter. Her surviving kits look exactly like her, though, which I really like.

Am hoping to see at least one lilac kit in the SF litter, since the sire is lilac.
fl.gif

@FoodFreedomNow I feed rolled oats, as that's what one of the breeders I purchased from recommended. Apple is now a total oat junkie--always begging for more!

Good luck on the lilac!

@balloonflower, thanks! I thought I'd already responded, but apparently imagined it...
1f914.png

Mine love rolled oats, too. I'm going to get some whole oats and see if they like them; if not, I know the chickens will eat them.

Expectant SF mama is big, still haystaching up a storm. I think I feel almost as relieved as they do after they kindle. lol

It's day 31 and the girls look ready to burst.
lol.png
Both does have been haystaching and completely reworked the nicely-layered nest boxes I put in there a couple of days ago. I'm trying a different bedding setup in the next boxes: a layer of pine shavings on the bottom, followed by straw, with hay on top. The does have dug down to the bottom and shredded the layer of thick paper I put over the wood bottom for absorbency. Oh, well, I guess it just adds to the bedding.

Generally, the does kindle at night or early morning, so it may happen tonight or tomorrow night. Temperatures are warm here (and they're indoors) so hopefully everything goes smoothly.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom