Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

Two weeks old today!

So this morning I found one of my 2 1/2 wk old kits dead. I don't see any obvious signs, so I'm wondering. Is it just most likely that it got crushed by mama? They were out of the nestbox.

So this morning I found one of my 2 1/2 wk old kits dead. I don't see any obvious signs, so I'm wondering. Is it just most likely that it got crushed by mama? They were out of the nestbox.
I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, things like this happen occasionally with litters. The kit may have been smashed if its mother accidentally jumped on him, though does usually try to be careful to avoid this (they can be very light-footed). Or, he may have strayed from the others and gotten chilled. This is less likely with a kit of this age than with very young kits, but still possible. Or, he may simply have had something internally wrong, and suffered a quick heart attack/organ failure. There is likely nothing you could have done to prevent it.

Once the kits are out of the nestbox, how do they get fed by mama? Is it just what they scrounge from her, or does she still do a twice daily feeding. My doe seems just really annoyed with them mostly--she jumps all around until she's panting hard. It's been 5 days since they started leaving the box, and they're still after her nearly all the time.

Thanks--they are munching hay and drinking water. I haven't seen them at the pellets yet, but was mostly just worried that she might quit since she seems so upset. I did actually remove the nestbox to another cage for the night to give her a break--as soon as I put it back this morning she hopped right in to feed them, so I feel better now.

This afternoon, I cleaned out her hutch and added a deep cat litter tray, lined with newspaper, a thin layer of wood shavings and lots of soft meadow hay. I was pretty disappointed because she had a quick sniff of it and then ignored it :(....

I've just been outside now, and she's sat inside the nest box, pulling fur and constructing a nest!!!! From what I've been told, this means that she's definetely pregnant!!!

:bun :bun :bun :celebrate :celebrate:weee:fl:ya

I have two does due in the next few days. One is an experienced Sable doe (due on Thursday, though she usually goes at least a day late). The other is a first-time Chocolate Otter Mini Rex doe, due on Friday. I'm hoping both does have successful, healthy litters. I would love to get some more chocolates from the Mini Rex; my buck supposedly carries chocolate, so it is a possibility.

Good luck to everyone else with your rabbit breeding/kindling!

Back
Top Bottom