Share what you are making in the kitchen... for gifts!

I think I want to do the Oatmeal pancake mix for my neighbors... it looks fabulous!!!!
big_smile.png

putting together gift baskets with a mix of the below:
bread and butter pickles
dill pickles
salsa
toasted pumpkin seeds
apple butter
apricot jams
blueberry syrup
peppermint bark
orange cookies
and handmade soaps

I made Kahlua for everybody with this cheap and simple recipe. Sooooooooooo easy and everyone loves it.

½ cup of instant coffee (Not decaffeinated)
1&1/2 cup of sugar
2 cups of water
2 Tbsp vanilla extract (imitation is fine)
1 750 ml (a fifth) bottle of generic vodka
Mix the coffee, sugar, water and vanilla together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let it all simmer together for about 10 minutes before removing from the heat.
You want to have about 3 cups of coffee "syrup" at this point. Measure, and if you’re a little short, add a bit of water in to top it off.
Mix in the entire bottle of vodka (40% alcohol)
Store in clean bottles (old wine bottles or water bottles will work just fine – make sure to sterilize them by rinsing them out in boiling water first.)

I doubled the recipe and used large mason jars because that's what I had laying around. A pretty bow around the lid and a printed label and that's all there is to it.

This does not need to be refrigerated and will keep for many months at room temperature. The alcohol content of the coffee liqueur is approximately 20%. 40 proof.

I grew up in San Antonio and tins of tamales were standard for the holidays. I am not hispanic but I learned from family friends how to make them. I just made over 125 tamales and theye're almost gone! My husband and kids demolished them. I was able to save a couple of dozen to give as gifts. I've started another batch this morning. I like my tamales because I know what's in them! My family thinks they are good too, obviously. I usually make red chili beef and chicken and green tomatillo chicken (with home-canned tomatillo sauce).This morning's are beef.

My sister married into a greek family and they immediately sent her to the old grandma's house to learn to make baklava. 20 years later she makes at least 25 pans of deliciousness every holiday season. Past recipients make sure they touch base with her at the holidays so she won't forget them.

This year I have made almond biscotti and Greek biscotti called Paximadia which I flavored with lemon extract and lemon peel. I also made quick breads, Hawaiian Banana Bread and Fruit and Spice bread with currants and English Mixed spice. I still need to make another recipe of biscotti and another of the banana bread before I can say "I'm done!"

edited to add: I forgot the Ethiopian Honey bread, a yeast bread, slightly sweet with the honey and a faint spice flavor.

Last edited:
Today is my baking marathon day! My fiance has a huge family that we can't afford to buy gifts for, so instead I bought some cute baskets and am planning to fill them up with cookies. I'll update this evening with pictures of the results. I'm just going to keep baking until it seems like I have enough or until I run out of butter (I have 8 pounds so we'll see how far that gets me)! And hopefully the chickens have a good day so I have enough eggs... wish me luck.

Last edited:
Cranberry conserve, blueberry conserve, green tomato relish, candied nuts, baklava, tortlings(fried and filled cookies with anise) and the Coquito (puerto rican egg nog). I only have to make pizelles and the coquito but would love to make another pan of baklava and some butter spritz but I work tonight 3rd shift so maybe tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom