Share your chicken's survival stories

My little girly, Vanilla, has a cool story.
411F4216-9504-46EE-A617-DD7EC1C41238.jpeg

She’s a 7mo EE pullet, laying powder-blue eggs.
696E0220-717B-436F-9019-3D45115340AE.jpeg

When she was 8 weeks old, she sustained a terrible leg sprain. We thought with limited movement and scrambled eggs it would resolve itself.
It didn’t.
She was going downhill. She wouldn’t walk, didn’t eat, and the leg was swollen.
B790B9AA-8A77-4B5D-8CC1-21DE5F183FD3.jpeg

Her right before. There was nothing she couldn’t conquer.^
7F429951-3F33-43F2-8740-E4F2B2C33320.jpeg

After. We still don’t know what happened to her. ^
She tried to walk as normal, and hobbled around after the other sprightly 8-10 week olds, and did her best to hide her pain, but if she stumbled or was forced to run, she would cry out piteously.
And if we picked her up, she would screech and then just peep, over and over.
Poor baby.
So we took her to the only place that would see chickens.
Long story short, it took 7 hours for them to send her home with pain meds. But she’s all better now, so...yeah.
Here the lovebug is.
63CA5A3B-9109-4E48-9A81-081CB0333B7F.jpeg
A0533D54-F089-4383-9501-272DBE522C80.jpeg

My little girly, Vanilla, has a cool story.
View attachment 2375295
She’s a 7mo EE pullet, laying powder-blue eggs.View attachment 2375300
When she was 8 weeks old, she sustained a terrible leg sprain. We thought with limited movement and scrambled eggs it would resolve itself.
It didn’t.
She was going downhill. She wouldn’t walk, didn’t eat, and the leg was swollen.View attachment 2375306
Her right before. There was nothing she couldn’t conquer.^View attachment 2375309
After. We still don’t know what happened to her. ^
She tried to walk as normal, and hobbled around after the other sprightly 8-10 week olds, and did her best to hide her pain, but if she stumbled or was forced to run, she would cry out piteously.
And if we picked her up, she would screech and then just peep, over and over.
Poor baby.
So we took her to the only place that would see chickens.
Long story short, it took 7 hours for them to send her home with pain meds. But she’s all better now, so...yeah.
Here the lovebug is.View attachment 2375323View attachment 2375322
She's really pretty. You are lucky to have a vet around that'll take chickens.

STORY 1-

This is the story of a rooster I did not own, but I loved until he died.

Becky was purchased at a feed store, in the overcrowded straight run bin, as a silkie chick amongst so many other different breeds, it seemed like an odd chance that this certain bird was one Of the chicks randomly selected for my friend to take home that day. Why is it so strange? Well considering the amount of chicks in there, they happend to take home the one chick who had gotten her eye pecked out! As a young chick it seemed she would not survive, they treated her every day, and watched her. She didn’t look healthy at all, for a very long time, but against the odds, she made a full recovery and grew up into a beautiful silkie.... ROOSTER! Yes! Becky was a glorious little Roo, a beautiful black silkie with only one eye, he was the sweetest rooster- and chicken, I’ve ever met. Did not run away and didn’t show aggression to people almost at all. He lived a Long fulfilling life, and is missed by his owners 3 years after his passing

STORY 2-

JOY THE “WONDER CHICKEN”

Joy, is a 3 year old Speckled Sussex (although we call her our Spunky Sussex!) This chicken, lets NOTHING stop her- the most stubborn thing around! When I say she doesn’t things stop her, I don’t just mean the other chickens in the way of the feeder, I mean she has lived through everything terrible to ever happen to our flock (which was started with her and 3 others, 3 years ago) and to herself! Want a list?

(All of the predatory incidents happened before we owned a secure run, we haven’t had anything happen in over a year)
Sour crop
Sour Crop
Hawk
Hawk
Hawk
Hawk
Weasels
Bobcats
Raccoons
Bobcat
Weasel
Coyotes/Weasel/Racoons (camera didn’t capture it? Suspiciously it fell over SECONDS before the attack would have been filmed..)
Eggbound with Soft shelled egg
Eggbound with soft shelled egg
Pneumonia from build up of all three eggs
Almost no airspace from the build up
Was almost killed by Egg Yolk peritonitis/All 3 of those soft shelled eggs caused by something unknown.

STORY 2-

JOY THE “WONDER CHICKEN”

Joy, is a 3 year old Speckled Sussex (although we call her our Spunky Sussex!) This chicken, lets NOTHING stop her- the most stubborn thing around! When I say she doesn’t things stop her, I don’t just mean the other chickens in the way of the feeder, I mean she has lived through everything terrible to ever happen to our flock (which was started with her and 3 others, 3 years ago) and to herself! Want a list?

(All of the predatory incidents happened before we owned a secure run, we haven’t had anything happen in over a year)
Sour crop
Sour Crop
Hawk
Hawk
Hawk
Hawk
Weasels
Bobcats
Raccoons
Bobcat
Weasel
Coyotes/Weasel/Racoons (camera didn’t capture it? Suspiciously it fell over SECONDS before the attack would have been filmed..)
Eggbound with Soft shelled egg
Pneumonia from build up of all three eggs
Almost no airspace from the build up
Was almost killed by Egg Yolk peritonitis/All 3 of those soft shelled eggs caused by something unknown.
Poor baby. Is she doing well now??

Heres another survival story of one of my hens.

Coco is a adult barred rock that we got this summer. Here's her story, and the story of how our main rooster got ptsd.

It was morning and I went to take my bird aggressive dog out. I hadn't yet known that mom already let the birds into the yard. So I let him outside and went to help with my little brother's home schooling. The next thing I know i'm being told my dog has abeen chicken in his mouth. So I went running out to see my dog luther with a limp brown and white barred rock hanging in his jaws. I ran over and quickly removed the dog. Had my step dad take him back inside and checked the chicken out. She seemed to luckily be mostly dazed so I put her in the coop to rest and went toto make sure no one else was hurt since I saw excess feathers that belonged to big red, our rooster. It seemed that he had came running to try and assist her. I looked for him but couldn't find him, until ishe started calling our treat time call, wich he very reluctantly came out of the corner of our yard for. I looked him over and he was completely ok. So I went back and looked coco over again and found she had two half centemeter deep bite injuries and a scrape on her back. We wrapped her up to prevent flies larva and kept her inside for two days to look for any sings of internal trauma. Luckily we saw none. And now she ishas happy and healthy again. She still has visible blue kote wound spray and only half her tail feathers though.

Back
Top Bottom