Share your chili secrets!

sandmbaker

Songster
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Illinois
its fall and the weather is getting colder and it gets me thinking about a hot bowl of chili. share your favorite chili recipe or your secret ingredients that make your chili taste AMAZING!
Il share my two ingredients that make my chili my families favorite meal. of course if i told them they would probly say
sickbyc.gif
eeewww. but for a regular batch of chili I add 2 heaping tablespoons of baking cocoa and one can of cola. for bigger batches I double that. I usually make a double batch since im feeding 5 boys and my husband. what the two ingredients do is take out that acidity tart from the tomatoes and adds a light sweetened taste that you cant beat. I got the tip from a cook at steak n shake
wink.png

Hubby has a five Alarm Chili Recipe that is fab! I was told by a Texan that it is an authentic TexMex style chili.
His secret is using round steak, pork steak and ham steak. He grills the meat just to get teh brown char marks, then dices it up. Then he grills thick slices of onions and quartered tomatoes to char marks, and dices them up before adding to the chili. That little bit of grill flavor really makes a good chili.

Hubby has a five Alarm Chili Recipe that is fab! I was told by a Texan that it is an authentic TexMex style chili.
His secret is using round steak, pork steak and ham steak. He grills the meat just to get teh brown char marks, then dices it up. Then he grills thick slices of onions and quartered tomatoes to char marks, and dices them up before adding to the chili. That little bit of grill flavor really makes a good chili.
OOOOO that sounds so good!

Ilike to add a good beer to my chili. Also last year had a 200 lb harvest of sweet potatoes so started to add them in too. Adds that sweetness. This years harvest 5 lbs- Boo. I like chocolate too.

Sweet corn helps add a delectable element of sweetness. (If you're really desperate, you can put in a little brown sugar too. Or just put some in. Just in case. ;) )

Fresh ground anchos and chipotle peppers. It has to be genuine chipotles. The ground "chipotle" sold in spice bottles tastes like bacon bits. Disgusting stuff.

its fall and the weather is getting colder and it gets me thinking about a hot bowl of chili. share your favorite chili recipe or your secret ingredients that make your chili taste AMAZING!
Il share my two ingredients that make my chili my families favorite meal. of course if i told them they would probly say
sickbyc.gif
eeewww. but for a regular batch of chili I add 2 heaping tablespoons of baking cocoa and one can of cola. for bigger batches I double that. I usually make a double batch since im feeding 5 boys and my husband. what the two ingredients do is take out that acidity tart from the tomatoes and adds a light sweetened taste that you cant beat. I got the tip from a cook at steak n shake
wink.png
That is so funny, I usually add a hersheys chocolate bar to my chili!! Everyone thinks I am crazy!!! I try to use fresh peppers when I have them. but will used dried when i have too. I also add extra cumin. I like to use both ground beef and diced beef. When I was in Alaska it was moose and cariboo meat all the way. Man I miss that!!

Yesterday at the Weight Watchers meeting, we were talking about changing up our family recipes to make them "fit" Weight Watchers plan better. The leader likes to add zucchinni to his chili because he doesn't like beans in his chili and the zucchinni sucks up the chili flavor while adding veg bulk.
hu.gif

Another member adds carrots to hers for sweetness. Carrots and zuchinni - it sounds more like gumbo than chili!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom