Share your egg recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by iajewel, Dec 3, 2008.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Im gettng a bit tired of the omlets and soft boiled eggs I normally have.. everyone eats fried, scrambled eggs. I was wondering what everyone does to spice up all those eggs we have? I don't mean a recipe that calls for eggs.. More like the foundation of the recipe is formed around the egg..
    custards, sufle' and so on count.. as they are mostly eggs..

2. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Have any of you tried the omlet in a zip lock bag? you put 2 eggs and anything else that you want in your omlet in a zip lock bag and mix it up , then drop the bag in boilding water and cook for 18 mins , then put it in a plate , you are done , this works really well if you are feeeding alot of people ,everyones omlet cooks at the same time.

3. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Hey I've never thought to do an omelet that way! I never cook them because I always need mass quantity of everything that I cook for my "human" brood! Oh, I can't wait for my chickies to get here ..... :sigh

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Never heard of that.. is there a special kind of plastic bag? With my luck I would use one that melts. Sounds like a great idea.

5. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    no special kind, I have used the cheap ones or the very good ones ,just what ever you have on hand , I also cook my corn on the cob in them to ,I put the corn in a bag and put it in the microwave , when its done just take the bag out put butter in the bag ,roll the corn around in the butter then its ready to eat.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I like to add a dash of curry powder to my poached eggs, makes them very good [​IMG]

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quiche Lorraine

Ingredients:

Pastry for 9-inch crust pie

8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    4 large eggs
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In bottom of one crust pastry shell sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion. Beat eggs slightly; beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into quiche dish over bacon, cheese and onion.

Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake about 30 minutes longer or until knife in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Yields: 1 quiche
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Make Ahead Vanilla French Toast
    Recipe by Cooksrecipes.com
    http://www.cooksrecipes.com/breakfast/make-ahead_vanilla_french_toast_recipe.html

French Toast Ingredients:
    1 (1-pound) loaf French bread
    1 1/2 cups LAND O LAKES™ Vanilla Half & Half
    1-cup milk
    6 large eggs

Sauce Ingredients:
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup LAND O LAKES™ Vanilla Half & Half
    1/4-cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/2 cup sliced almonds*

Slice bread into 12 (1-inch thick) slices. Arrange bread slices in bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking dish; set aside.

Combine all remaining French toast ingredients in medium bowl. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Pour mixture over bread, covering all bread surfaces. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients except almonds in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted (3 to 4 minutes). Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle bread with almonds. Pour half of sauce mixture over bread mixture in pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes.
    Just before serving, heat remaining sauce; pour over French toast. Serve French toast warm with maple syrup, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

*Substitute chopped pecans.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 680, Fat: 27g, Cholesterol: 260mg, Sodium: 670mg, Carbohydrates: 97g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Protein: 15g
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Farmer's Casserole
    Posted by Coll’s Cookin 9-12-98

•3 C shredded potatoes (fresh or frozen) *I use Simply Potatoes from the stores refrigerator section
    • 3/4 C or 3 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar
    • 1 C diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon( Hillshire Farms has pre-diced ham)
    • 1/4 C sliced green onions (tops & all)
    • 4 beaten eggs
    • 1 1/2 C whole or 2% milk
    • 1/4 t pepper
    • 1/8 t salt (opt)

Grease a 2 quart pie plate or baking dish. (I like to serve it in a decorative pie plate so it can stay on the table)
    Arrange potatoes evenly on the bottom.
    Sprinkle with cheese, green onions and ham.
    In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, pepper, salt.
    Pour over potato mixture.
    Bake uncovered, in a 350° oven for 40-45 minutes or until center is done.
    Let stand 5 minutes before cutting & serving.
    Makes 6 servings.

Serve with fresh fruits & melons & Coll's soon to be famous Banana Bread.

Enjoy! Coll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eggs Ranchero

4 tortillas
    1/2 pound breakfast sausage
    2 tablespoons oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 cup of Picante sauce
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    8 eggs
    1 tablespoon butter
    Sour cream

Brown the sausage with the onions cooking until the onions are soft, set aside.

Wipe out the pan and heat the oil. Fry tortillas quickly in hot oil; drain on paper towel.

Warm the Picante sauce

Fry eggs in butter in separate pan.

To serve, cover each tortilla with a fourth of the onion-sausage mixture, place 2 eggs on each tortilla and cover with Picante sauce and a dollop of sour cream. Serve at once.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beef Hash with Fried Eggs

Hash:
    2 cups roughly chopped boiled red-skinned potatoes
    2 cups diced cooked beef
    1/4-cup chicken broth
    1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
    1/2 clove garlic, mashed with a fork
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Eggs:
    8 large eggs fried sunny side up.

In a large bowl, mash 1 cup of the potatoes with a fork. Add the remaining potatoes, beef, chicken broth, onion, garlic, and pepper mixing well. Store in the refrigerator overnight or at least 3 hours.

Preheat a large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup of the butter and heat. When the foaming subsides, add the hash mixture and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Using a spatula, press the mixture down into a cake the size of the skillet. Cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, until the hash begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, shaking the skillet to loosen the hash occasionally, until the underside is browned and crusty, about 6 minutes more.

To flip the hash, set a plate the size of the skillet on top of the pan. Invert the pan so the hash falls on to the plate as an intact cake. Return the skillet to the medium-high heat; add the remaining 1-tablespoon butter. When the foaming subsides, slide the hash into the skillet cooked-side up. Cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, until the underside is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes more.

While the beef hash is cooking fry the eggs and put them in a covered container to keep warm.

Divide the hash among plates and top with the fried eggs. Serve immediately.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    For fast and yummy, I like to make a nice tomato sauce in a saute, then make little depressions in the surface of the sauce with a spoon, crack an egg into each depression and allow it to poach to whatever level of doneness you prefer. Serve with crusty bread and a small salad.

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Sounds good but I would want at least 2 eggs.

10. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I know its kinda plain but i love scrambled eggs. I put a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream in my egg mixture along with pepper and salt. After the eggs are done i top them with a sprinkle of green onions or chives. The sour cream makes them so creamy and mild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by