Share Your Winter Duck Pics!!!

I love seeing everyone's pictures- and Larkflying, those are pretty WHs you have there- and that last photo is a hoot!
(As I type here in my office, I can hear my girls talking animatedly about something - they are definitely perplexed by this new white world out there!)

We have lots of standing water in our hay fields now -- but the ducks/geese are too chicken to go out there without a person standing guard. I guess that is good since we do have eagles, but still, I wish they would go out and play in the pond while they have one .

The WH ducks are really growing on me - mine are such reliable egg layers even in winter. I may be transitioning to more ducks than chickens by next fall . . . the ducks are just meant for this climate!

They were probably wondering what happened to the veggie garden.. LOL

Trooping out in their first snow, to visit the vegetable garden (their daytime play area)

Maybe it's a good day to stay inside!

A first taste of snow for these ducks. They weren't impressed. Still haven't ever gone inside their house as far as I can tell.

I'm from Australia, in a place where we don't get snow. I couldn't imagine ducks in snow! it's a novelty to me! How do they cope? do they mind it at all?

I'm from Australia, in a place where we don't get snow. I couldn't imagine ducks in snow! it's a novelty to me! How do they cope? do they mind it at all?

I don't think it's their favorite thing for mine, but i have Muscovies and they seem to like warm weather better, but this year there hasn't been much snow.

Thanks for all the nice comments . . . I got ducks and geese last year, and I feel a little bad, but my liking for chickens is really falling by the wayside. The ducks are so funny, and the geese have such great personalities that the chickens suffer by comparison. Poor things. I'm going to get some Easter Eggers this spring and see if they'll help make chickens interesting again, but if not, we'll sell all the chickens and stay with ducks and geese. My Welshies are laying better than the chickens anyway, and here in Washington State our weather is so ideal for anything webfooted (the snow was a temporary, once a winter thing . . . now we are back to rain, rain, rain . . . )

Duckadia - My ducks didn't care for the snow -- they stayed under the trees mostly, especially when it got more than a few degrees past freezing. But they were totally willing to go foraging in it, more than my geese. The geese didn't like poking their beaks into it, But the ducks dove into it and must have found something . . . .They aren't cold at all - they sat in the snow and rested and walked in it without seeming to care. I minded more than they did I think. But we don't get extreme cold here -- not like the central states. I think if we did they'd go and hide. I still had eggs laid every day on top of the snow - they'd promptly freeze, but apparently it wasn't enough for them to stop laying.

Everyone has lovely ducks -- wish I could have some of every breed!

Back
Top Bottom