Share Your Wisdom?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
Well, this isn't my first rodeo, but it's been half a lifetime ago. My first batch of ducks were very young when they were butchered by my mom's boyfriend's savage mutt. I didn't get much experience with my first batch of ducks. So, even with the reading I have done, I still have some questions.

1) I have 4 hatchery quality blue Swedes and 4 Pekins. At what age do they get their drake curls? I read that they usually get it by 12wks - they are almost 4 months old. Was that wrong? Of the 8 duck we have, 6 were straight run ducklings. There is no way we got lucky enough to have all girls. Two are not quacking, but doing more of a quiet peep/quack. I am pretty sure they are the boys, but no sign of a drake curl yet.

2) Two of my girls were already laying when they came. I read they can start laying as early as 16wks. Can I expect that from my Swedes and Pekins? Sadly, we have no laying chickens at the moment and we are living off of the duck eggs. I have another month or two before my pullets start laying...

3) I just got goslings. I plan on putting them in with the ducks when they are old enough to hold their own. Is that such a good idea? When I had my others they stayed away from the geese, but they also had 10 acres to roam with a fresh running creek. They only have a 40x200+ run right... pond to be dug soon. I hope. Kiddie pools for now!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Your male ducks won't get a drake curl till they are close to 6 months old, or ever a bit older. If you have any that are not doing a proper quack by 4 months then they are likely to be drakes. Voice is the first indicator (aside from vent sexing that is!).

My Swedish start laying at about 20 weeks, so it'd be reasonable to expect that from yours too. Hopefully it won't be too long before you get to have duck eggs for breakfast - yummy! :)

I don't know about goslings so I'll stop there! :) I hope you are enjoying your ducks.

Thank you very much!
Well, it looks like we have 3 boys then! I am excited because 2 of them are going on my freezer! I bought them for production and egg purposes. I don't need anymore than one boy for the 5 girls. The ducks are my husband's pets. The geese are mine. We share the chickens - although I am blamed for the numbers we have.

Back
Top Bottom