Sharing Chicken Talk - I'm home !!!!!!......

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmLife01, Dec 15, 2014.

1. FarmLife01

FarmLife01 New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    Beautiful Washington State
    YEAH! I can finally not bore people with talk about my chickens! Or if I do, you can just hit the "back"button :)

I started my chicken journey in 2008, with 25 chicks from a hatchery. I only wanted 5..... What I learned with that first experience:

1. Baby chicks that come in the mail are very TIRED when they are finally unpacked and set up. I remember showing each chick where the food and water was, each ate and drank, and then each one proceeded to do a total face plant, and look completely dead! I thought I'd killed each and every one... Then, they started popping up again - the poor little things were so exhausted that I think they had basically passed out with a full tummy and some heat....

2. Chickens grow REALLY FAST! I was looking for homes for the "extra" 20 babies by 4 weeks, and by 8 weeks I was desperate! Luckily, I did find homes for all, and the original 5 were my bestest girls ever. They were named: "Gertie", a Light Brahma, still with me and lays maybe a dozen eggs a year :) ; "Tibbits", a very beautiful Silver Laced Wyandotte, "Hanky Panky", a Buff Orpington that I lost way too young ; "Henny Penny" a very skittish Gold Laced Wyandotte ; and "Dwight Yolkum" a black sex-link - an extremely tough and productive bird.

3. I LOVE CHICKENS!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for being here BYC!

Sherri
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your chicks are so cute. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. FarmLife01

FarmLife01 New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    Beautiful Washington State
    Thanks for the Welcome! The pics are actually of those very first hens... My babies! The one up front is even "Gertie"! [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

You have adorable chicks!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What a cute little flock! Yes, you have come to the right place to talk chicken! Lots of us come here to talk or listen to others talk chicken since everyone else outside of BYC is tired of hearing us yammer on and on about our flocks! Ha!!

Make yourself at home here and I hope your birds continue to bring you great joy. Welcome to our flock!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

What cutie pies!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock, Gertie is adorable.

10. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    So glad you decided to join! I LOVE your chickies![​IMG] Be sure to make yourself at home!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by