Sharing nest boxes- too funny!

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Can I come in?
8324_nest.jpg

Guess not. (Look at Fatima poking her head in already! They've got 4 nest boxes, yet they love just one!)
8324_nest2.jpg

gig.gif
:gig:gig

Yesterday, I peeked in on my girls. We have 3 boxes and 5 laying hens. I think they all were trying to get into the same box. Watching them trying to fit their poofy butts in the box, I died laughing!!
lau.gif

They are so funny! One time I watched as one crammed herself into an occupied nest box, turned around a couple of times, laid her egg, which rolled off the first occupant's back, and got out. The first one just muttered her displeasure and took a few pecks at the interloper, who paid her no mind whatsoever. There were open boxes, but they were the top ones-no good, I guess.

gig.gif

I have four nest boxes for 7 hens- they used these nest boxes in the first coop they were in. When I transferred them to current coop, I mimicked the placement, so they'd be comfortable.

But noooooooooo- they have found a spot under the nest boxes and they all want to lay in that one spot, on some straw on the ground. It's a one hen butt wide spot and sometimes there will be 3 squeezed in!

So guess who hangs out in one of the nest boxes? The EE roo! Got a little recliner, where he can watch "HenTV" all day!

I have six Silkies that sleep in 2 nest boxes, 3 in each box. I have tried several times to stop this, but finally gave in. They seem to love it.

5 of my 7 girls want to lay in the same box. They will stand there and wait until the box is empty. I have tried moving the egg that someone just layed to another box. Sometimes they will go where the egg is. But, for the most part they all want to be in the same nest box. One of them likes to lay in the coop. And the other one, an Ameracauna, just goes into her nest box all by herself and lays her green egg. She is the only one who will go in that box. She is still not laying evey day. She will lay for 2 days and then take 1 day off. Silly Chickens! Gotta Love Them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom