Sharing the same Coop

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
So I have integrated my 20 week old pullets with my 2 year old hens about 10 days ago… things are calming down, but still some chasing going on! My pullets have their own coop and my hens are in the main coop…I am wanting to integrate the littles to the big coop.. my plan is to allow them time in the run to get used to one another.. then put them in the big coop…will the littles eventually go to the big coop on their own or will I have to put them in at night? My hens can be so mean , and I shutter at the thought of the littles being confined in the big coop with the older hens until the door opens up…I have installed a new roosting bar on the opposite wall of the original roost, where the hens roost at night….any and all suggestions are welcome…thanks 😎

I'd wait until they mostly got along during the day in the run before attempting to coop them together, which given the age of your pullets might be when they've already begun to lay or are close to it. At that time it might be as simple as closing off all access to the coop the pullets are using, and then manually placing any birds that don't follow the hens into their coop inside the coop, until they get used to the change in routine.

It depends on your time frame, what I would expect is that a few pullets will get brave and follow the big girls in. I have heard of the big girls going to the pullets housing, it probably depends on the housing.

If you want to rush it, lock all or some of the pullets in the big girls coop for a couple of afternoons in the big coop keeping the big girls locked out. Put a few treats in there. Chickens believe in territorial rights. Each bird BELONGS in a certain place. And a different place is scary. So by putting them in the coop, they will begin to get some territorial rights without being harassed.

Then let them out just before dark. At first they will probably go back to 'their' coop. But in a couple of days - I would expect a few of them to go in with the big girls. Once that starts happening, close off the pullets coop.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom