1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sharp spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragontamer56, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I have a Buff Orphington roo and 4 black australorp hens. I recently got an australop roo and separated the buff with the buff hens and some other random hens that are about to lay. We started finding cuts on the black hens. Well when i separated the buff roo today his spurs were as sharp as razors. I just took some sand paper and rounded down the tips. How do you guys deal with it?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I have seen some threads on here where people actually pull out the spurs, you should be able to do a search on it, good luck!

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i perfer to file or clip spurs, but if you want to remove them here's how: warm up a potato in the microwave like you would a baked potato for a few minutes until it is very warm and kind of mushy. have someone else hold down the rooster while you poke his spur into the potato. leave it for 1-2 minutes to give the skin a chance to soften and loosen around the spur. take off the potato, then twist the spur out. there shouldn't be too much blood, but i like to put some neosporin on, then wrap around the leg with a large size band-aid. they stick pretty well for a few days as long as he doesn't pick it off (mine never have). check for any sign of infection until it's fully healed. that's VERY IMPORTENT. i had a roo with an infected leg wound and i removed his spurs to better get at it and the infection spread to his spur stubs and he died.

4. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    well mine i just get a hatch saw and saw the tip but one time i was cutting it and the hard outter shell came off and under it was just bone that was sharber then it was but i just use a hatch saw its easier and it grows back fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by