shavings in the water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 6chix, Jun 14, 2008.

1. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    My girls are 10 days old now. I seem to be spending all my time wiping the shavings out of their water. I am using the regular chicken waterer and they are constantly kicking shaving in the trough. Any suggestion on how to keep them from messing it up??
    JOhn

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Lift it up. Set it high enough they can stretch in to drink but not kick shavings in. I keep mine up on a brick and adjust the height as needed.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We just kept raising the waterers up on wood blocks as the chicks got taller. Put the feeding level at the hight of their backs so they have to reach up for it and you'll have a lot less stuff ending up in it. Hope this works for you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I keep feeder and water on a board, just about 3-4 inches thick. It works well.
    Someone I knew hung the feeder and water dispenser from top of coop. Don't know if it would swing or you could tie it off. Gosh that sounds dangerous now that I read it. Anyone els?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As a further refinement, you can put it (on its blocks) on top of a larger square of plywood, like 16" square or whatever you have lying around. Some shavings will get onto the plywood but not as much as if it weren't there. THe fewer shavings right around the waterer, the fewer they seem to kick into the water.

Good luck,

Pat

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    when they were chicks I put mine up on an aluminum can like you give Christmas cookies in. Now I have the gallon waterer and have it up on one of those disposable stoarge containers. Still have to empty it twice a day, I dont think anything will cure the problem completely. [​IMG]

7. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Yeah, we set ours up on blocks too, and they still get shavings in the water and feeders.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Another option is to hang the feeder and waterer from an overhead. Suspend it by a cleat so you can adjust it up and down as they grow. Keep it at the same height as their back.

9. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok, so hanging water and feed is ok! I knew someone who had done that, but I never tried it. Thought if it started to swing a chicken might get hurt?

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Ever watch a chicken duck through a hole in the fence, in a hurry? No feeder is gonna give them much worry.
    They get out of the way pretty quick!

Seriously, the feeders move about a bit, but it isn't like they're having a party and swinging from them.

Just ensure there isn't any way for them to perch up on the fixtures and you'll be okay. I've tried most normal ways of feeding and watering and then I tried hanging them. I've never looked back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by