Shavings vs. Automatic door

Ritzydoll

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
Hello everyone!
I recently bought a Chickenguard automatic door opener and so far it's great and does everything I want. BUT how in the world do I block all the shavings that accumulate where the door comes down? I'm afraid it's going to prevent the door from closing all the way. So far, I've cleared all the shavings from door hole prior to the door closing. I want to enjoy this product and know that my girls are safe. My husband says he is done fooling with the coop so I'm on my own on this one. Lol. What do ya'll do to keep shavings at bay? Any ideas or suggestions?

Hello everyone!
I recently bought a Chickenguard automatic door opener and so far it's great and does everything I want. BUT how in the world do I block all the shavings that accumulate where the door comes down? I'm afraid it's going to prevent the door from closing all the way. So far, I've cleared all the shavings from door hole prior to the door closing. I want to enjoy this product and know that my girls are safe. My husband says he is done fooling with the coop so I'm on my own on this one. Lol. What do ya'll do to keep shavings at bay? Any ideas or suggestions?

I don’t have an automatic door but is there a way to make a lip just inside the door from wood that would keep bedding in and let chickens walk over it. I just let my chicken roam and scratch. They scratch stuff out of my pop door but it doesn’t interfere with door closure. When I clean I just dust with small handled brush or broom the shavings out of the track. :)

I don’t have an automatic door but is there a way to make a lip just inside the door from wood that would keep bedding in and let chickens walk over it. I just let my chicken roam and scratch. They scratch stuff out of my pop door but it doesn’t interfere with door closure. When I clean I just dust with small handled brush or broom the shavings out of the track. :)
I was thinking that a lip may help. Just have to figure out the best way to do it. Any other ideas or pictures?

a small retaining wall inside the coop to keep the shavings from getting into the doorway easily would help but you would be cleaning the bedding out of that door area everyday still. If you have a picture of the door and the inside of the coop it would help.

I was thinking that a lip may help. Just have to figure out the best way to do it. Any other ideas or pictures?

This isn’t the best photo but may help. Size the lip to your liking. See the lip inside the auto door. This one is just several inches.
9CBE2313-DB93-4559-AAB3-71C1B8E5F07C.png

Easiest lip is taking something like a 1x4 and just placing it behind the opening for the door. You can nail it in place or do what I do, just put some bricks behind it to hold it there.

My auto door is elevated too (about 6") so there was no need for a lip, but I have a 1x4 with bricks placed across the human door to keep bedding in place.

Easiest lip is taking something like a 1x4 and just placing it behind the opening for the door. You can nail it in place or do what I do, just put some bricks behind it to hold it there.

My auto door is elevated too (about 6") so there was no need for a lip, but I have a 1x4 with bricks placed across the human door to keep bedding in place.
That's a good idea. This is our first chicken coop and I'm definitely figuring out things I would do differently next time.

Back
Top Bottom