Shaw and the Hound

Pics
He is a hound, it is in their nature to kill.
Yeah, but I think they can still be taught not to kill the animals in their own family even if they go after other animals. I’ve heard of lots of hunting dogs that retrieve ducks and other things but never touch their own family’s birds. It’s probably more work to teach a hound though but most dogs with proper obedience training can learn what to touch and what not to. Mason seems like a smart enough boy to be able to tell the difference.

Yeah, but I think they can still be taught not to kill the animals in their own family even if they go after other animals. I’ve heard of lots of hunting dogs that retrieve ducks and other things but never touch their own family’s birds. It’s probably more work to teach a hound though but most dogs with proper obedience training can learn what to touch and what not to. Mason seems like a smart enough boy to be able to tell the difference.
Teaching a retriever not to kill is not the same as teaching a hound not to kill. Retrievers are bred to fetch and a soft mouth is prized. Even so, the most efficient cat killer I ever knew was a male Black Labrador.

Thinking of hounds being like other dogs is like thinking guineas are like chickens.

I hope so. But I'm not gonna hold my breath :hmm

Teaching a retriever not to kill is not the same as teaching a hound not to kill. Retrievers are bred to fetch and a soft mouth is prized.

Thinking of hounds being like other dogs is like thinking guineas are like chickens.
I have learned that fo sho!
I never realised "breed description" could be sooooo accurate.

Teaching a retriever not to kill is not the same as teaching a hound not to kill. Retrievers are bred to fetch and a soft mouth is prized.

Probably true but I have heard of it with other breeds too. Not just retrievers. Probably depends on the individual dog too. I’m sure there are some lazy ones that never want to kill anything and some super insane ones. Though that’s true of most breeds.

I hope so. But I'm not gonna hold my breath :hmm
He seems to get along fine with the cats so far right? What exactly are you wanting to teach him? He seems like a smart boy so I’m sure he could learn it but maybe not. Idk. But I’ve heard of huskies and other prey driven breeds living with cats but killing strays so they maybe there’s hope 😂🤣

He seems to get along fine with the cats so far right? What exactly are you wanting to teach him? He seems like a smart boy so I’m sure he could learn it but maybe not. Idk. But I’ve heard of huskies and other prey driven breeds living with cats but killing strays so they maybe there’s hope 😂🤣
I'm not trying to teach him anything specific I guess.
What I guess I'm trying to say is since I have been teaching him it's not okay to go after my cat, the ducks baby birds in the yard, ducklings, frogs turtles etc..
I just don't want him to get his a** handed to him if he does come across say a possum or raccoon or feral cat.
Oh he did actually kill a young possum a while back. I forgot about that.
Well he didn't get it dead all the way before I took it away from him.

I'm not trying to teach him anything specific I guess.
What I guess I'm trying to say is since I have been teaching him it's not okay to go after my cat, the ducks baby birds in the yard, ducklings, frogs turtles etc..
I just don't want him to get his a** handed to him if he does come across say a possum or raccoon or feral cat.
Oh he did actually kill a young possum a while back. I forgot about that.
Well he didn't get it dead all the way before I took it away from him.
Dogs are pretty smart. I’m sure he would defend himself against a wild animal if it was attacking him even if he normally wouldn’t touch it or your animals. I don’t think he’d let himself get beat up. A softer dog might but he doesn’t seem soft 😂

Back
Top Bottom