She cant walk, acts like shes drunk

foodthatpoops

Chirping
Jan 22, 2018
It started off with a limp, but high like in her hip. She would stay off by herself but would roost with everyone at night. her limp started to get worse so I isolated her and now this is how she walks. She eats and drinks, has NOT laid an egg since I isolated her. She can stand but seems to have trouble balancing, rocks back and forth on her toes and will sit on her butt sometimes.

It sounds like you bird might have Mareks disease, which can cause partial to total paralysis and many other symptoms. Unfortunately, there is know cure for this disease that I know of. You just have to hope she can fight it off on her own. Good luck and I hope she improves.

That looks fairly classic for Mareks disease, but it is only best diagnosed after a chicken dies with a necropsy done by a state vet or poultry lab. So sorry to even guess this, but do not give up hope unless it is something else. How old is she?

It could be an injury as well, and I would go ahead and try some poultry vitamins that include riboflavin, in case of a vitamins deficiency. You can use vitamin B Complex 1/2 tablet crushed and put into her food or a snack. Only time will tell.

There is an excellent long article about Mareks called "TheGreat Big Giant Mareks Faq," if you either Google it or do a BYC search at the top of this page under "search forums."

She's able to stand, is eating and cleans herself. From everything I've read of merecks she should be dead by now. Her limp has progressively gotten worse over the last month. We have horses and the chickens get stepped on sometimes so I've had some minor injuries to legs and toes and figured that's what this was. She doesn't have the classic full leg paralysis like merecks usually shows. When I saw her having trouble balancing I was worried that's what it was but I'm still questioning it. If she dies then I will be sending her off to check. I ready hope she pulls thru, she's my favorite one of the entire flock

That looks fairly classic for Mareks disease, but it is only best diagnosed after a chicken dies with a necropsy done by a state vet or poultry lab. So sorry to even guess this, but do not give up hope unless it is something else. How old is she?

It could be an injury as well, and I would go ahead and try some poultry vitamins that include riboflavin, in case of a vitamins deficiency. You can use vitamin B Complex 1/2 tablet crushed and put into her food or a snack. Only time will tell.

There is an excellent long article about Mareks called "TheGreat Big Giant Mareks Faq," if you either Google it or do a BYC search at the top of this page under "search forums."
I'l look that up, thank you

Oh, she's about A year old. So far this evening she's gotten vitamins in her water and B12 (that's the only b vitamin I have in the house). Should I give her something ese?

I would use either B complex, Poultry NutriDrench, or fet some frozen beef liver, and give her 1/2 ounce each day. Injuries are always a consideration when chickens are limping. Hopefully @Rebascora will chime in, since she has a flock affected by Mareks. I have never seen it in my flock, and it can present with differing symptoms in each chicken.
I would have her rest her leg in a small area, close to food and water. If her hip is injured, that would be a serious injury that may not heal.

If you have a vet who would see chickens, you could have xrays done to look for bone abnormalities, but that is an expensive option. You could always try some aspirin in her water or give a baby aspirin twice a day by mouth.

Back
Top Bottom