she can't walk - SAD UPDATE - We lost Blueberry this afternoon

hugs.gif
I'm sorry for your loss. Earlier this year I had the same problem with another chicken and she didn't make it. It is so hard to lose a loved pet.

Thank you all. I think the other 2 girls are really missing their flockmate. They didn't really want to come out and play today.
I'm checking craigslist to hopefully get another BR about the same age to replace her for my granddaughter, but so far no luck. I'm dreading telling her we lost Blueberry and I really don't want to have just the 2 girls in the coop for the winter. There's no heat and I think they'll need each other to keep warm enough. It's a small coop/roost box, but without heat I think I need 3-4 chickens in winter.
Even if I can't get another BR, I'd like to get one or 2 more girls anyway. If anyone knows someone in the southeastern New England area that's looking to sell 1 or 2 pullets/young hens I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks again for all your concern and help.
love.gif
BYV'ers are the best
yippiechickie.gif

I am so sorry to hear about Blueberry and the other chickens that passed. It makes me very sad but I know you all tried your best to help them. That's about all you can do = just love them and try to make them comfortable. Unfortunately, Chiclet is not doing as well as I thought she was. She is walking just fine now but she has refused to eat or drink for 3 days. I have managed to force her to drink water out of a medicine spoon and she will nibble on cracked corn when it suits her. Not enough to sustain her though. She is getting thin. She used to lay an egg a day but she hasn't laid one in a week and I was wondering if that has something to do with it. I decided to let her go back outside during the day so she can feel like a normal chicken and hopefully get in the mood to lay. I'm afraid she just might end up dying and I feel helpless because she refuses my help now. Trying not to feel like a failure.
sad.png

MotherHen, you are absolutely NOT a failure. Chiclet couldn't have a better chicken mom. I really hope she starts getting better on her own now, but if not you did everything that could be done for her.
hugs.gif
Take care.

Thankyou, Mimi.
smile.png
Well, Chiclet is still holding on. She is walking really well, in fact, today she jumped out of her crate (which is about 3 feet tall) I was shocked to see her perched on the edge when I came home. (Good thing my cats are still locked away from her!) Unfortunately, I am still having a terrible time getting her to eat. I have been grinding her pellets up and mixing them with water and pumpkin puree and spoon feeding her for the last 3 days. I even smeared food on her back and she actually ate that because she can't stand to be dirty. All she wants to do is pile shavings around herself like she is making a nest.

Has she gone broody? Can anyone help me? I let her outside and she walked to the chicken run door and wanted in with her friends. Instead I put her in the henhouse and let her lay on my other hen's egg for a few hours and actually got her to eat oats by putting a pile of food in front of her. I don't know much about broodiness as these are my first chickens. I have searched the internet but I can't seem to find the way to fix this. She has come this far now and suddenly she just wants to give up? Not on my watch! Can anyone give me advice? She doesn't act sick - very feisty and curious. Just won't eat and wants to nest.

I've been reading hundred of posts here about this not walking thing, and can't believe what's going on. My roo went from staggering to not walking. In the interum, he was not getting to his food either. But I put it in front of him and he eats alot.

Why is this happening to so many

Yes, she is awfully cute isn't she? Thankyou! Chiclet is doing wonderful now. She is living outside again with her pals and eating and drinking well. She has even walked up the ramp to the henhouse at night (although, I usually try to intercept her so she won't hurt herself again). It's been over a month since "the incident" and although she isn't quite as steady on her feet as she was before - she is well enough to walk around freely. She hasn't laid in weeks but I am not too worried - maybe there is not enough daylight to start laying after she quit during her illness. I love her so much more now than I ever did before. I learned so much about her personality when I was caring for her.

I hope if anyone out there is searching for a cure to this leg problem that Chiclet's story will help them keep their hopes up. There is still a chance the chicken can be saved so please just try your best!

Back
Top Bottom