she can't walk - SAD UPDATE - We lost Blueberry this afternoon

*Update*
She still can't walk, but doesn't seem any worse than yesterday. She's still alert and moves her legs and wings when I pick her up. I gave her some scrambled egg and cottage cheese with crumbles and crushed tums this morning. She ate some then ate about a spoonful of layer pellets with vitamin E dribbled on. She doesn't seem to be drinking much, but she pecked up about half an apple between last night and this morning, so I don't think she's getting dehydrated.
I have her out in the garden again. She's kind of leaning sideways against a bush with her legs usually out to the side and she's moved to other spots a couple of times. I put some pellets in front of her and she ate some, then she ate some scratch and BOSS. I did get her to drink a little water and she had another pretty normal looking poop.
I'm not really sure how much vitamin E and Tums to give her. Does anyone have an approximate daily dosage I could go by? Thanks.

I have EXACTLY the same thing happening to one of my Bluebelle hens. We are now on day 3 and she still cant walk or stand. She is eating and drinking and laid me an egg yesterday! Same smelly brown poo. How weird is that?? We will give her til weekend then its curtains if she is no better. Hope they improve soon. Love Lizzie

Hopefully Blueberry will be feeling better soon. I wish I could tell you how much vitamin e and tums. I am clueless... just been reading things on the internet. I have been feeding Chiclet 1 e capsule mixed in with cottage cheese and oyster shell dust. She still can't walk but she can now stand so that's some improvement. I hope she gets better soon because she is residing in my living room in a steamer trunk and every time she poops I just about barf! I really hope Blueberry recovers soon - your chicken too Lizzie. Please be patient with her and give her a chance to heal.

Here is Chiclet watching some tv with me. Chillin' with the chick.
42727_chiclet.jpg

Last edited:
Mother Hen
I'm so glad Chiclet is doing better. It gives me hope. Blueberry still has a pretty good appetite. She's eating layer pellets with vitamins and tums, and she pecks at an apple. She's not drinking a lot, but I'm hoping the apple is giving her enough moisture to supplement what I'm getting into her. Please keep me posted so I can measure Blueberry's progress with Chiclets. Thanks.

You two are having quite a time. I'm going to revisit every day, hoping you both see progress- Chicklet sounds improved. If it is a lack of vitamins, the medullary complex will take a while to get the Vitamin D and calcium levels elevated, do don't quit!

My thoughts for a bird with weak or paralyzed legs that is eating well and has a good attitude- would be Marek's, pelvic trauma/fracture, or maybe dietary deficiency. The dietary deficiency would be lower down on my list as the poster's bird is older and is on layer pellet + fresh stuff. Many of the dietary issues show up when they are smaller and growing really fast, except for low calcium. Which can show up later at point of lay and after. Trauma to the pelvis (fell, stepped on, rooster damage, dog played with ect) often gets better with cage rest. Marek's 99% progresses and the bird dies. The Marek's birds usually are hungry and eat well, poop well, may still lay- but eventually succumb to the internal tumors on nerves and organs. Marek's (unless there are visible external signs like occular) is a diagnosis based on Necropsy/histopatology- so the bird needs to be send to a lab. It certainly won't hurt to give the bird vitamins and rest, quarantine is a great idea, but if this bird does not get better- or dies- you should send it in for necropsy. Many states will do this for free/cost of shipping. Look into this last option now, in case you need the info later. I hope she gets better.

I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I think Blueberry is a little stronger today. She still can't walk or stand without a little support, but she's moving herself around a little more and seems to be sitting a little better; not on her side as much. I'm still giving her the vitamins and tums and she's eating and drinking well. She's had a couple of good normal poops; greenish brown with a good white topping of urates and not nearly as smelly as they were (who would have thought I'd be analyzing chicken poop
lau.gif
).
I'm going to keep on with what I'm doing and hope for the best.
Mother Hen - how's Chiclet doing? I hope she's continuing to improve.

I have some baby chickens that are about 2 months old that are doing this. they have been having brown poop that are extremely smelly with a tint of blood. My one roo was walking funny and couldn't stand up well because he kept falling over and was unbalanced. I have an appointment on Tuesday with a bird vet. and I will get an anwser. I will post back then and tell you what he says. I hope it's not to bad of news because I have a poultry book and most of the disease say keep way from rest of flock for good. Humph

Quote:
I haven't seen any blood in Blueberry's poop and since I've been giving her the vitamins it hasn't been as smelly either. She's still not standing on her own or walking, but she's still eating, drinking, bright eyed and alert. I'm going to keep trying with the vitamins, but if you get something more from the vet I'd really like to hear. Good luck.

How is she today?
(nice to see your webpage, a lovely little coop and precious girl with Blueberry)

I know these things take time.

As mypicklebird has said if deficiency or pelvis improvement should be noted, if Marek's you'll see decline.
Just reveals how important it is to segregate- hard to see what is going on, in a flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom