She caught a mouse!!!!!

chcknrs

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Kelso, WA
My little RIR was free ranging and I was turning over rocks for her (her fave thing to do with me) and out jumps a little field mouse! She went after it immediately, caught it and you know the rest. We have lots of mice, so I was very happy with her!
yippiechickie.gif

Once in a while a unsuspecting mouse will stray into one of my runs and into the middle of my flock, not a pretty sight!

It does keep the rodent population down.

My hens will chase eachother all day long when when of them gets a mouse. My husband always says "Protein!" when he sees it and I always think "yeah, they're going to need it after all that running!!"
lol.png

we have a roo that lives in the neighborhood.. I let him go about a year a go and he is doing great.. but the neighbor loves him cause he aparently took a snake right out of a potted plant of hers.. she thanked him with some cracked corn.. but anyway he is truly a free range bird.. (now how is it that the hawk doesnt get him, well no one can really, even the dog catcher LOL) I got him from a horse farm that had some chickens .. they didnt like em and they just lived there free ranging, they managed to get "Lenard" and he was in a VBS for a week then I let him go and he has been the neighborhood bird ever since.. I have a feeling tho when my girls get to be more mature and pretty looking he will be comming around. LOL

When I was in college a friend of mine had chickens. The coop that they were in was a great place to house mice (under the nest boxes). For saturday fun ( with a couple fizzy amber bottles
big_smile.png
) we would go put a water hose in a mouse hole in the coop after we had all the hens penned up. They seemed to know what was going to happen because they all started running around. We would turn on the water and the fun began!! There goes a mouse with a chicken hot on its tail! It was great amusement for about 10 minutes (took that long to fill all the mouse runs).

I had some older pullets that were scratching in the yard one summer. They must have uncovered a mole tunnel and it just happened that the mole was in it. And again, you know the rest! I happened to be in the yard and heard it squealing.

These are such cooooool stories! I'm allergic to cats, so knowing my chickens will be better mousers is awesome! Now I have to convice DH to let one or two become house chickens.....
lau.gif

Great Story!! Good for her (and you).
We have had small field mice in our feed barn and the other day I say one run from the hanging feeder in the chickencoop, across the coop and under the wall to the outside. Everyone just stood their and watched
barnie.gif
Why won't mine try to kill it? Maybe mine are too overfed lol.

Back
Top Bottom