She fell

farmertank

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
Linden TN
Ok first off I have never seen a bird of any kind not at least try to use their wings for balance. So to me this is pretty amazing lol

My Dark Braham (Danny has named her Stupid) is really not the sharpest tack when it come to brains. For example she doesn't know how to roost, I have to put her there every night, she got in a 1/2 inch of snow last winter was about a foot from the coop and forgot how to walk. get my drift, but I love her.

Today: we have a storm shelter built into a hill behind our house. From the house you can walk right out on the roof, but then there is a about 12 foot drop. I was sitting on the roof watching Red(my RIR) hen scratch around. It's a wooded area so lots of leaves and such. Well Stupid walks up to me and looks down making her chicken noises. I say hi to her and pet her. Then it was like she realized Red was down there and she just stepped of the edge. She didn't even open her wings, she just fell not even a flutter from her wings. There was a Thump noise and then she wheezed. I ran around to the path down there, but by the time I got there and I mean seconds, she was scratching next to Red like nothing happened. lol I thought for sure she was hurt. Well I checked her over and am still keeping watch, but she doesn't seem to be harmed.

*Sigh* now I have to teach what wings are for, anybody have the book "flying for idiots" lol

Julie:)

P.S. where is the camera when these things happen
hu.gif

I think that no matter the species, there is a dumb one lurking. Lord knows I've had my fair share of dumb dogs, but I have a few chickens that have me wondering if maybe they are a an inch short of a mile, if you get my drift. My broody Silkie hen is one of them. She is sweet as can be, just not all that bright. Got a dog like that too...lol!

My EE is the waaaay not coordinated one. From the time she was 4 weeks until about 13 weeks. I told my mom "I need to get more chickens because Munk (EE) is gunna kill herself..." I was CONVINCED she would be the one to break her neck because she has no clue how to get down from perches!

Well now at 13 weeks she FINALLY got a bit more grace. I am not so worried, but every now and then she yells for me to come help her out of the orange tree because she is stuck. lol.

Back
Top Bottom