She Is A He!My favorite hen is a roo.

the simple life

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Well thats it, my favorite Americana "hen" just crowed.
I have been in love with this little guy since he was hatched.
He hatched out and then fell over on his back and looked through the window of the bator at me.
He would stare at me everytime I peered in to check on things too.
Then when he was in the brooder he loved to be picked up and cuddled.
He would fall asleep in my hand eveytime and if I ever tried to put him down when I was holding him he refused to get off my hand.
Just a sweetie pie and gorgeous.
Well he is 12 weeks old now and we were out in the yard hanging with the girls and he just crowed real good and loud.
Now, the other roosters were plainly roosters. They got the big combs and wattles a couple of weeks or so or go.
This one didn't but I had wondered about it because it seemed to act a little rooish standing up for itself to the other roos and was alot larger than the other americauna in the same hatch.But since it didn't look like one yet I held out hope that it would be a hen.
Do Americana roos develop later? All my others are hens, never had an americana roo.
I had a woman ask me a couple of weeks ago if I had an americauna roo she could buy, I was trying to sell my Nh red and RI red roos and I thought this one was a hen.
I will have to contact her since I am not allowed to have roos here in my neighborhood.
What a bummer.

Can you post a pic of him/her? This sounds just like my situation..Justine was my favorite..always staring at me, cuddling, etc., when she was a baby. Then when she realized she was made of testosterone, she got nasty on me..I call her Justine the Mean. She's still my favorite in alot of ways though.

One of my BA pullets crows periodically and I KNOW she's a she bc she lays eggs! So *maaaaybe* yours IS a hen who like to pretend she's a boy? Just thinking....

I'll be going through that soon. My silkies' are 8 weeks and I'm wondering what sex they are. Right now I'm calling them "MY GIRLS"
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom